RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post your feedback here
vk7jj

Re: RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post by vk7jj » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 pm

W6JHB wrote: For those of you running SDRuno in a virtual environment like mine - is that lag present, or is that an issue with SDR#?
Hi Jim.

Like you I run VMWare Fusion with a Windows 10 VM on an iMac and SDRUno performs really well. In my experience the audio delay is no different from running any of the great apps available for the SDRPlay including SDRUno, SDR Console and HDSDR under VMWare compared with natively on a Windows machine as I also use them on a Windows laptop.

Any radio that uses digital signal processing has inherent delay as it takes time to convert the audio from analogue to digital, storing it in RAM in a buffer, then more time to manipulate that digital data mathematically, and then more time to convert it back to analogue to play it over the speaker.

I did a quick search and found this link

http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/std/ ... al_SDR.htm

which illustrates the point with actual figures for HDSDR and Perseus.

It is frustrating that the overwhelming majority of ham software is Windows based but it is comforting to know that VMWare Fusion and Windows 10 perform astonishingly well.

There are plenty of complaints on this forum of stutter and general lack of grunt on Windows hardware, yet an ageing 2009 iMac 2.7GHz 4 core with only 8GB RAM runs SDRUno with just a 2GB RAM partition for Windows 10. Staying under 6Mbps sampling rate SDRUno reports an average usage of less than 20% processing power. SDRUno, as others have remarked, has a bit of a steep appreciation curve, but it is a truly excellent app and performs brilliantly.

Think of it as owing a Ferrari yet still getting to use it as a rough 4WD off-road, using OSX with a good virtual machine gives us the best of both worlds ;-)

Reason: No reason

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm

As far as i know there isnt a Mac version of SDRuno yet, I tried running it in VMware but found it ran much better on a dual boot in windows, ive tried win 7 and 10 and both work fine when booted into windows.

I use an old imac though, its a 2009 model, I installed windows with boot camp and it installed first time.

I am away from my imac at the moment so can't give you much more than that but hope that helps

W6JHB

Post by W6JHB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Phil & Les - thanks for the replies - good to know the forum is fairly active! The reason I was wondering about the audio delays is that several years ago I had built a few small QRP SDR rigs that worked with either Quisk or HDSDR. Trying to send CW whilst listening to it on the SDR was ugly, to say the least. I wound up abandoning the internal keyers on those rigs and went with a stand-alone keyer that had a built-in side tone.

One of my goals is to use my K3 and a home brew amp for a 144 MHz CW uplink and the SDR rig as the 440 MHz downlink to work some satellites. With the up-down lag and the SDR lag added together, it quite possibly might sound really nasty! But it should be fun trying to get things cobbled together to try it out. Much cheaper though, than a new IC-9100 or even a used IC-910H or FT-736 or similar.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by W6JHB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

SWL

Post by SWL » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 am

g4jnw wrote:As far as i know there isnt a Mac version of SDRuno yet, I tried running it in VMware but found it ran much better on a dual boot in windows, ive tried win 7 and 10 and both work fine when booted into windows.

I use an old imac though, its a 2009 model, I installed windows with boot camp and it installed first time.

I am away from my imac at the moment so can't give you much more than that but hope that helps
I too ran the gamut of getting HDSDR on a Mac to run. I must have played with configurations, settings to no end. The best choice was to run Win X under Boot Camp and then load HDSDR. I've been running HDSDR on Mac hardware for about a year or so and have had no issue what so ever.

I have the first generation SDRPlay receiver which still works great to this day. :)

Trillot

Post by Trillot » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Ive just bought SDRPlay RSP1A. I'm a beginner in this field.

I loaded the software for Mac that SDRPlay recommends CubicSDR and the driver API / HW DRIVER. I installed them.

Unfortunately, CubicSDR does not recognize the RSP1A and when I want to install it manually, I am asked for an address that I do not know.

I am angry at the lack of information given by SDRPlay.

Now that you have bought, demerd!

Where can I find help?
Last edited by Trillot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm

There is a known issue on mac where the device may not show up the first time. Press refresh and the device should appear. If you are still having a problem, contact our support desk and we'll help you: https://www.sdrplay.com/support

Best regards,

SDRplay Support