RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post your feedback here
g4jnw

Re: RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post by g4jnw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 am

Just found a version of HDSDR for Mac, not tried it yet but may be worth trying

http://k1fm.us/2016/01/hdsdr-on-osx-the ... y-edition/
Last edited by g4jnw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

wa2bfw

Post by wa2bfw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I just purchased a RSP1 and spent 2 hoirs trying to get it to work on my mac mini. While I haven't given up yet, I am NOT a happy camper.
Any help would be appreciated. What I see is the mac USB being identified as vendoe specific and SDRuno not IDing tne RSP1 when plugged in. I tried CubucSDR with the same result.
Last edited by wa2bfw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

MiamiC70

Post by MiamiC70 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:02 am

It really does seem like there is just ZERO concern by developers in keeping up with the times and supporting OS X. Love how windows XP is still a thing yet they can't be bothered to port to OS X.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm

There is not "ZERO" concern by developers in keeping up with times and supporting OS X. SDRplay acquired ownership of the IP underlying Studio 1 in July last year and this was originally developed as a Windows only application. It is not simply a case of re-compiling it or 'porting' it to OS X. The entire front end interface needs to be re-developed from scratch and it is certainly in our plans to do this, but it is very far from a trivial effort. Unfortunately, very few people truly understand what is involved in developing a cross-platform software solution such as this and become extremely critical if it doesn't meet their specific needs or wants even though it is simply one application that we support and provide for free. We are still a small company and have multiple customer needs to satisfy. Try as we might, it is simply impossible to keep everyone happy all the time.
So, please understand the following:
We WILL be redeveloping SDRuno into a cross-platform SDR application that supports OS X. It will also support Linux (yes, that community gets extremely frustrated and angry too) as well as Windows. It will NOT be open source (despite many angry demands that it should be) and it will take a significant amount of time and effort to do this.
Cubic SDR is a very good application, but it is freeware and is developed by a very small team part time as they also need to work to earn and income to support themselves. We understand that it is also open source and so there is nothing to prevent anyone within the community of OS X users from enhancing the software to meet any specific needs.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Thats really good feedback from Tech support, it gives me confidence that eventually OSX will be supported via SDRuno, I do understand the development does take time and re compiling the software is no mean feat.

I for one would willingly test such a product even if it were full of flaws.
Im retired so have lots of free time lol.

I am also hoping that one day there will be a transmit version of the SDRplay as i would be first in the cue to look at that.

I would like to compliment SDRplay on their great product, of course there is frustration but thats bound to happen i guess.
Last edited by g4jnw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jwilliambaxter

Possible Solution for SDRplay with Mac

Post by jwilliambaxter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Suggestion for new SDRplay users on the Macintosh platform:

I too had some learning curve hurdles at first, as it seems that Windows Rules in the UK...

I contacted SDRplay Support and they were *great*...

This may be dependent on Mac OS X version, so my best advice would be to get with SDRplay Support, but if you want to try something quick and easy, just drag your existing version of CubicSDR into the Trash and then install this one: http://www.sdrplay.com/software/CubicSD ... Darwin.dmg

On my MacBook Air, running Mac OS X 10.12.3 Sierra, just install this version when launch CubicSDR, then in "File/SDR Devices" you will see your SDRplay (if it is plugged into a USB port!). If not, press the "Refresh" button in the popup. Once you can successfully select the SDRplay, CubicSDR becomes a wonderfully friendly user interface.

I am simply amazed by the performance and stability. Just starting to explore antenna options, and the explore the radio spectrum in this entirely new and very enjoyable way!!!

Best of luck, and 73!
-john N3FPZ
Last edited by jwilliambaxter on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

grantp

Post by grantp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi,

I received my SDRplay today and spent hours trying to get it to work with success. Initially I thought this post above was a solution and was going to work. It did finally see the SDRplay device, however as soon as I selected it, the app just crashes and quits. Its a shame as I just cannot get this product to work at all. This was as close as I could get, but then it crashes.

I specifically purchased this product because it was Mac OS compatible, but I am not sure if thats the case as a lot of people seem to be having difficulty making it work? Has anyone made this product work on Mac OS?
Last edited by grantp on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 am

I almost gave up on the mac for ham radio as i almost exclusively use the windows versions now on my mac's
I decided to dual boot my iMac and run parallels on my macbook pro, both running El Capitan

I did get the latest cubic to run ok but only the one on http://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/
I found I had to install the api first then cubic

Trouble is even though i got it running I simply do not like the look of cubic (probably just a personal thing)

I like HDSDR best and then SDRuno so until something better comes along then i'll use them

Its not just them its all ham radio software for mac's that just don't look right. I bought a Thumbdv (D-star dongle) to use on the mac simply on the basis that it will run on the mac and the software is awful, the windows software for it is great, its dissolutioned me so much i have the dongle now for sale.

I don't blame the manufacturers for all of this, a lot of it is apple that do not make it easy for software developers but i still support the mac as the mac (to me) is so superior as they say it just works, well at least its OWN software!

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

grantp wrote:Hi,

I received my SDRplay today and spent hours trying to get it to work with success. Initially I thought this post above was a solution and was going to work. It did finally see the SDRplay device, however as soon as I selected it, the app just crashes and quits. Its a shame as I just cannot get this product to work at all. This was as close as I could get, but then it crashes.

I specifically purchased this product because it was Mac OS compatible, but I am not sure if thats the case as a lot of people seem to be having difficulty making it work? Has anyone made this product work on Mac OS?
Hi
Can you provide more info about your scenario? (your OS X version, the API you've installed, CubicSDR's version, etc)
Make sure you've done these two steps:
1- Install the latest SDRPlay API from SDRPlay's downloads section (http://www.sdrplay.com/macdl.php)
2- Download the CubicSDR from SDRPlay's downloads page (http://www.sdrplay.com/software/CubicSD ... Darwin.dmg)

It just works out of the box (I just tested it on macOS 10.12.4)
Other than using the CubicSDR provided by SDRPlay, you can compile the latest source code, if you wish.

DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

grantp

Post by grantp » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:21 pm

No problem and I am running Mac OS 10.12.4 Build 16E195). I will try running these latest software apps from the links your provided just to ensure I do have the latest builds.

On the issue of Mac support for amateur radio. While a few people have commented on this thread about "most people use Windows in the UK" I am not sure if thats even correct anymore. The new "maker" crowd of people who are getting into electronics and into building things are becoming quite heavily Mac based because they like the style of the computers and the neatness of the OS. I personally think its a good thing that people getting into electronics are appreciating style and quality as it will make them produce better products in the long run themselves when their tinkering leads to something as they get older.

The whole type of person who is into electronics is changing.

Its also changing from the point of seeing more girls getting into it as they see it less as a kind of nerdy pursuit, but more of a making things kind of thinking to it. I think thats also quite healthy to see. I see a lot of girls in electronic shops these days with a bill of materials for something they are making.

So what the amateur electronics community needs to think deeply about is what that change means and where are the future people who become interested in amateur radio going to come from. Are we going to be old guys sitting in a Dennys talking about the good old days, or are we going to have a large group of younger people doing new types of things that will keep the hobby exciting? If the hobby stays exciting, can we keep our amateur radio bands in the face of commercial pressure that could take over if the hobby declines enough.

These are some of the concerns I have when I hear the comment "everyone uses Windows" as there a a bit more to the story than this. We should be carling more about were things are heading than where they have been in the past. We should be considering what that world could be and what we would like that world to be. Then lets go and make it. So this new maker culture, while sounding like a strange description for what I used to see as just being electronics, is the way younger people are seeing it and they have different views on what this all is. Its certainly interesting. Mac is a big part of that, and using better design in chassis, and making some of it fashionable. Its all very interesting.

That could account for some on of the differences of opinion here for the need for a Mac version. It could also be driving some of the need for good quality Mac support because getting a product to work is not enough in this new environment. Its also making it look awesome thats important too. And thats becoming more important as people want more from things.

Sorry for the long rant. Just wanted to lay out some thoughts about what I am seeing. So a bit of a brain dump!
Last edited by grantp on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.