Frequency in SDRUno and hardware drift apart

Post your feedback here
MarkHirst

Frequency in SDRUno and hardware drift apart

Post by MarkHirst » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Bought my RSP2 Pro from MLS yesterday, spending today getting into it.

A couple of niggles so far, the most important being that the frequency displayed in SDRUno seems to get out of step with the hardware.

At startup, all is fine, but during the process of changing frequency through a combination of typing in directly or using the mouse to point at a peak in the spectrum (and I'm not sure when this happens or how long it takes), I find that the software and hardware don't line up anymore.

When encountering this today, I was trying to tune to Shannon Volmet on 5505kHz (having tuned in fine earlier) and heard nothing. I exited SDRUno and reloaded, the software still showing 5505kHz, but this time I could hear the broadcast.

In other circumstances, I've spotted a peak in the spectrum and clicked it to find an English language broadcast that I know for sure is on a different frequency to that shown in SDRUno (and verified no such station is on the shown frequency using a different receiver). Close and reload SDRUno and the station is not there, retune to the actual frequency using the keyboard and the station is there in its proper place.

It doesn't happen all the time, but you don't know when it does - so if I hear nothing on a particular frequency, I don't know if there really isn't anything broadcasting or if the hardware is actually tuned somewhere else.

The other niggle is when the main window opens, a number of the buttons including Play are rendered in free space off to the right of the window. If I move or resize the window, the buttons jump back to where they should be inside the window.

Mark
Last edited by MarkHirst on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
Shortwave Signals skill for Alexa - Your programme guide to Shortwave Broadcasting - UK - USA

MarkHirst

Re: Frequency in SDRUno and hardware drift apart

Post by MarkHirst » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Just to update my first post, Yesterday I came across a faint English language station, but the frequency was clearly wrong in an area of the bands where broadcast stations simply don't operate.

Usually it happens after an explore of various frequencies where I'm typing in a frequency directly, spotting something in the waterfall, moving on something else in the waterfall, typing in another frequency and so forth.

As before, I stopped the radio, started it again, it came up on the previous frequency and of course there was no station.

Mark
Last edited by MarkHirst on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Shortwave Signals skill for Alexa - Your programme guide to Shortwave Broadcasting - UK - USA

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi Mark. I can honestly say I've never encountered anything like this with either RSP1 or 2. Have you contacted support?

Andy

MarkHirst

Post by MarkHirst » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I assumed it was operator error, or that I had changed a setting somewhere. If I can find a simple sequence of actions to create the discrepancy, I'll give support a try.

As it is, I'm really enjoying the RSP2, my first foray into SDR.

Mark

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 pm

I haven't seen any digital problems such as described (I'm using SDRuno 1.12 with an RSP1).

Based on my experience with my RSP1 I'd say the phantom appearance of a station where it shouldn't be can be because of input overload. Try altering the IF Gain setting. With the RSP1 at least the AGC control seems to do a good job of attenuating the antenna input so that overload is avoided.

-Noel