Best General Coverage Receiver I've ever owned!

Post your feedback here
jon

Best General Coverage Receiver I've ever owned!

Post by jon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Many thanks to G3VDS for his nice comments on eHam reviews.....

G3VDS Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2017 05:32 S

Best General Coverage Receiver I've ever owned! Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first bought an RSP1 last year and it worked well. I traded up to the RSP2 recently because I wanted the filters, software switcheable antenna inputs, and the TCXO.
I am running it with a Chinese fanless PC. I5 processor, 8Ghz ram, 120Gb SSD. Windows 10. This loafs along quite comfortable with an 8Mb displayed bandwidth at 35-40% processor load.
I've had no software issues at all getting it to work.
Prospective buyers should be aware that this little black box and it's software is a very complex and powerful piece of kit and requires a lot of time and effort learning how to use it. If you do this it's magical and has taught me a lot. It has its quirks but my first Rx was an Eddystone S640 valve job and in 50 years I've had lots of others and they all do!
I've also got a Flex 1500 which I like a lot. The Flex and the RSP2 are both good but in different ways and I'm keeping them both.
I think the RSP2 is good value for money and with my new noise generator I'm playing with it as a poor man's spectrum analyser.
It is important to RTFM and 'think' about what it shows you.

Read more eHam reviews on http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

Reason: No reason

g,3vds

Re: Best General Coverage Receiver I've ever owned!

Post by g,3vds » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:45 pm

I was a bit startled to see my eHam review pop up here Jon.

I posted it to try to balance unnecessary negativity.

Some users seem to expect instant gratification of all their requirements.

Other users want to dive in with complex setups involving multiple software programs and expect SDRplay support to sort it out for them (free).

I think that y'all must have saintly patience!

I have to ration my reading of the Facebook groups as it dangerously raises my blood pressure.

You sell an excellent receiver for the price!

Roy G3VDS

G3VDS, NE5R

rskunath

Post by rskunath » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Jon,

I see you are running at t high bandwidth. At that 8 MHz width, what's the decimation you're able to use? I have a high end PC here, AMD-8 core at 4.1 GHz and lots of RAM and at anything over a 5 MHz bandwidth at a decimation on 1 I get some audio chuffing, though both waterfalls are very smooth still.

Are you seeing none of that on your setup? The above was with SDRuno.
Last edited by rskunath on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g,3vds

Post by g,3vds » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:43 pm

As I said I'm running a Chinese fanless micro PC with nothing on it apart from Win10 and SDR Uno. All unwanted processes shut down. Cannot do 10mhz at Dec. One but eight MHz ok.
Advise check your USB setup
Roy

G3VDS, NE5R