Operation Difficulties

Post your feedback here
EricF

Operation Difficulties

Post by EricF » Mon May 29, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm having difficulty getting started with the SDRPlay 2 and SDRuno. Installation was no problem, it is how to use it now that it is running.
The User Manual does not explain what the various features are for, and how and when to use them. At least not at a level appropriate for a beginner. Why to use certain settings for example. I have the feeling the manual was written for people who are already well versed in HAM radio and only need to know where something is and how to use various features... not for someone like me who doesn't know what the various features are, or how they are used, or why. I have been able to figure out some of it, but I could really use a beginner's guide. So far I have been unable to locate such a book or YouTube video. It would be great if the people who made it could put together a YouTube tutorial going through each feature and explaining it in detail. or better a book. Aimed at the complete novice.
Last edited by EricF on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

jon

Re: Operation Difficulties

Post by jon » Tue May 30, 2017 3:58 am

We have recently added a growing number of SDRuno Video guides on our YouTube channel - see https://www.youtube.com/c/SDRplayRSP

Go to the section named 'SDRuno Video Guides'. We are adding to these most weeks and welcome suggestions for topics.

On the YouTube channel we have links to other videos made my members of the SDRplay community.

best regards, Jon

EricF

Post by EricF » Tue May 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to additional videos.

I hope to see videos targeted on specific features. What they are, why they are there, how and when to use them. Thanks again.

I have been enjoying the radio, and know I will enjoy it more when I understand how to use it better. It is a great product in my opinion.

I wish I could have had a radio like this when I was a kid, staying up late trying to get AM stations from across the country.
And I wish more radio stations today were still local, and as interesting to listen to as they were then.

octave9

Post by octave9 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm

I wondered about the absolute beginner level and where to start trying to explain analogue Radio to those who have only known the digital age. You've got a head start on them, at least, having used an AM radio :)

One of the problems with receivers which cover a wide section of the spectrum is that strong local stations can affect whole bands of interest many MHz from the station's frequency. I remember seeing amateurs use tuned cavities to notch them out. So you may be glad of the absence of (very) local stations.

Don't hesitate to ask any specific questions here. I'm not using SDRuno currently though.

hfsdpk11

Post by hfsdpk11 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:23 pm

I've taken some time going through each and every indicator and control on SDRUno V1.13 and created a spreadsheet in an attempt to explain all of them. There are some points that are still in question so this is a work in progress. The spreadsheet is in OpenText .ods format and you can get it from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nz5t2x9ge8td ... g3-pa?dl=0

Being a work-in-progress, I'll appreciate any feedback/comments to make it complete and correct. Hopefully, this can serve as a guide to both beginners and more experienced first-time users of SDRUno.

Hugo
VE3KTN

EricF

Post by EricF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Great, thanks for sharing. I will study it and hopefully learn a few things. :D