Use with Ham Transceiver?

Post your feedback here
Old Ham

Use with Ham Transceiver?

Post by Old Ham » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

At first use, SDRplay has a better receiver than my TS-480!
Is it possible to hook up a system which uses the transceiver transmitter and SDRplay for a receiver?
I'm currently trying out SDRuno and SDRConsole,

Thanks!
Last edited by Old Ham on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

vk3alb

Re: Use with Ham Transceiver?

Post by vk3alb » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't know your name.

The remote connector on the back of your rig has a set of relay contacts that could be used to control a coax relay or similar. Check page 77 of the TS480 instruction manual. The coax relay would switch the antenna between the rig transmitter and the SDR. Of course, you need to be really careful that you don't overload the SDR input during TX. You could cascade a pair of relays in the RX leg to get the isolation. I would wire the whole thing so in an unenergized state the relays protect the SDR.

Do a Google search for the ELAD ASW-1 switch to get an idea of how this would work. Many have been used with the TS590 to do exactly what you want to do. The notes say it has over 50dB isolation at 30MHz. FWIW I would not use RF sense rather control the relay via the remote socket.

Good Luck
Last edited by vk3alb on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Lou
VK3ALB

Old Ham

Post by Old Ham » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you Lou, that is the kind of information I was looking for. It looks like there are several varieties of this kind of switch. Best wishes.

Hank/ke0cu
Last edited by Old Ham on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

WA2AKV

Post by WA2AKV » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 pm

VK3ALB, I would also like to thank you for the information on the isolation switch here. I just received my first SDR from RTL-SDR.com today in the mail. Isolation was foremost on my mind after reading an article in QST this weekend.
Last edited by WA2AKV on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
WA2AKV
SOTA QRP and other radio interests