Liking my SDRplay RSP1

Post your feedback here
RLyell

Liking my SDRplay RSP1

Post by RLyell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 am

Hello Everyone.

I have been a SWL since 1984 when I was 16 years old. My favorite radios are the tabletop models. I have a Drake R8 ( bought new in 1991 still mint condition), Grundig Sat 800 like new, and a Alinco DX-R8T. I have read about SDR receivers in different books for years, but never really gave them much of a thought.

This past November, ( November 2016 ), I saw a Black Friday special for the SDRplay RSP1. I thought about it a couple of hours and decided to get one. I got it home, hooked it up to my Alpha Delta DX-Ultra antenna, downloaded SDRuno and preceded to play around with it. SDRuno has a learning curve, but after a few hours I was pretty comfortable with it. All I have to say is WOW!

I really like the SDRuno software and the all the things it does. It looks great, and once you get it, it's a powerful piece of software to run the RSP1. All the features of SDR software and the performance is ( and I hate to say it) way above my Tabletop receivers and many other receivers under $3,000. Oh, you can get the Icom R-9500 ( just under $15,000 ) or the new Icom R-8500+ and get the same performance and features, but I don't have that kind of money especially for a radio. The SDRPlay Rsp1 was $109.00 shipped free to my house.

It's a good edition to my shack. My Drake R8 is still, and always will be, my favorite Radio. It was the first real radio I got. I had worked after school for over a year back in 1990 to save up and get it, so it holds a good memory for me of a different time in my life, and a good time for Shortwave radio listening. But, I also know that times moves forward, things improve and you can get a lot more for a lot less money now. So, my SDRplay RSP1 with SDRuno will take it's rightful place in my little listening room. I don't use it all the time, but I'm glad I have it, and I'm glad I decided to purchase it.
Last edited by RLyell on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

someYguy

Re: Liking my SDRplay RSP1

Post by someYguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Very good :).

I've been in the game since about 1970 and have used countless receivers both tube & solid state. First taste of SDR several years ago was with a Flex Radio Systems Flex 1500. Great little SDR rig and hooked me on the technology.

I love SDR technology because it is so adaptable and is a natural progression in wireless communications because things such as demodulation, filtering, noise blanking, etc. which formerly needed hardware can now be done with software. And performance just keeps getting better :). Another reason that SDR technology is so cool is because there are virtually no mechanical parts such as switches, buttons, potentiometers, relays, etc. to wear out.

I use (2) RSP1s here. One for general monitoring and the other as a spectrum analyzer for development & testing applications.

Yup, very cool indeed. Have fun! :)

Reason: No reason