Mostly good

Post your feedback here
KC4GIA

Mostly good

Post by KC4GIA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 am

I use Linux Mint and had no issue getting running on my PC with the AppImage and driver. I'm loving the CubicSDR program for general listening. I've been able to get it running with FLdigi and copy CW and digital modes. (the ones I can id anyway)

I also got it running on a raspberry pi with the image provided. I do not have the heatsinks so it did not work well. I'll try again with heatsinks and fan.

I had no luck whatsoever getting going with SDRTouch on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. It does not see the radio. I have the driver loaded successfully. Is the driver still not working with the RSP1A?

I'm looking forward to getting things going with GNURadio as well.

I also wonder if anyone is using this as a spectrum analyzer under Linux. If so, any pointers would be appreciated.

Overall I'm amazed at the performance of this radio. Great bang for the buck. I got going much easier than I had anticipated.

Thanks,

Mark
KC4GIA
Last edited by KC4GIA on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

someYguy

Re: Mostly good

Post by someYguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am

IMO, you really need to be running Windows in order to get the most from this. And it does NOT need to be a super fast computer with Win 10 etc. for good performance. I run HDSDR and SDRSharp both with the RSP1A on an old Dell Optiplex 360 (2.8ghz duo core, 4gb RAM) with a very stripped down copy of Windows 7. I am easily able to run full 10mhz bandwidth with no audio dropouts etc. and processor load hovers around 60-70%. No other programs are installed on the computer except radio programs.

I also like Linux and I use Ubuntu 16.04 on one machine. I've also experimented with CubicSDR, GQRX, and others on Linux. I even tried Skywave Linux which is a special Ubuntu Distro with radio programs preinstalled.

While the Linux programs are certainly functional & usable, they are a far cry from their Windows cousins in terms of features, User interfacing, etc. and mainstream support.

For spectrum analysis work, there is a newly released program for Windows by Steve Andrew for the RSPx radios. It is a dedicated spectrum analysis program with spectrum analyzer oriented features. You can read about it here: https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... =12&t=3164

An alpha version is available for download in the SDRPlay download area. Also, SDRSharp (rev. 1361 or earlier) will work with the RSP1A and makes a great spectrum analyzer.

Regarding SDRTouch on Android - If your S2 is capable of OTG USB, then it should work. I tried it and personally found the tuning to be too coarse for my taste but you may not have that issue.

Good luck and do have fun! :)

KC4GIA

Re: Mostly good

Post by KC4GIA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks very much for your advice. I do have access to a windows computer that I could try for this. I have limited space so hate to add another computer but it may be worth it. It's a laptop so...

I have the OTG cable for my tablet and use it all the time for additional storage. I'll have another try with it. I have successfully used it with a RTL-SDR dongle. I can also try another device just to make sure it's not an issue with the equipment. That is really more of a playing with the new toy issue than a serious thing.

Thanks again - very much appreciated.

Mark
KC4GIA
Last edited by KC4GIA on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.