Absolutely Green New User

Post your feedback here
datholen

Absolutely Green New User

Post by datholen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:30 pm

As a kid, I listened to the shortwave radio and it was simple. I thought it would be easy to pick up again with SDRplay, RSP1A and for not a lot of money. However, I am lost and need to get up to speed figuring out how to use the software to tune in. Obviously, I have a lot to learn. Can someone point me in the right direction beginning the process of learning how to use the software to tune in to something I can listen to? What are the bare essentials I need to know in order to build a foundation of knowledge? At this moment I am overwhelmed with the choices. Help!
Last edited by datholen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g4enz

Re: Absolutely Green New User

Post by g4enz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:53 pm

I would suggest that you start with the videos specifically created for people totally new to SDR.

https://www.sdrplay.com/video-guides/

Enjoy your RSP1A.

Regards,
Martin

datholen

Post by datholen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 pm

OK, the gurgling sound you hear is likely me drowning in the details of the various videos I have watched. So here is what I have. Purchased an RSP1A in the US from Ham Radio Outlet. Purchased an RTL-SDR Blog Multipurpose Dipole Antenna Kit. Installed SDRUno, attached antenna and fired things up. All seems normal. Watched many videos and still have yet to hear any signal from my radio, only noise. Recently watched a YouTube video: RS Components-Setting up an RSP1A from scratch. It looks like he's receiving signals from local FM broadcast stations using a simple whip antenna. Actually, it looks like he is receiving lots of local signals. I get nothing and there are many local FM stations broadcasting in my area (Indianapolis). I would be encouraged if I received something and could navigate to the several stations in my area, would like AM stations also. That would help me learn how to tune various frequencies. It just should not be that difficult. HELP! Is this over my head? Beginning to wonder if my RSP1A is OK.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:20 am

Are you sure of entering the correct frequency? An FM broadcast on say 105.5 FM will be entered in SDRUno as 105500000, 1220AM as 1220000. Also use the correct mode AM, FM etc and bandwidth for the signal you are hearing. You should be able to hear and see signals on the spectrum display on the AM or FM broadcast bands easily, If not and you are sure you are tuned to the right frequency, then there may be other problems such as a bad antenna connection.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am

In the early days of SDRUno frequency entry was KHz only, and entering a VHF frequency ended in strings of zeros. Very awkward. Now you can enter as MHz or KHz. There's a MHz button on the keyboard so you can just enter 95.5 <MHz> and the job is done.
For 1530 KHz, just enter 1530 <enter>.
People still manage to get it wrong though, and they end up listening to VLF instead of FM!
Also, don't set the gain pot to either extreme or the chances are you'll end up with a no-signal condition. Half way is a good start.

Andy

datholen

Post by datholen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks, I managed to tune to some local FM stations this morning. Now I can hopefully move forward a little more. Need to master the tuning aspects of this radio.