SOUND BUFFERING ABOVE SAMPLE RATE 5

Post your feedback here
glenncos

SOUND BUFFERING ABOVE SAMPLE RATE 5

Post by glenncos » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm

I GET CONTINUAL SOUND BUFFERING IF I TRY TO GO MORE THAN SAMPLE RATE 5 ON MY DESKTOP..SPECS FOR MY DESKTOP ARE:AMD FX(tm)-4350 QUAD CORE PROCESSOR 4.20GHz 16GB RAM WITH RADEON(TM) RX 460 GRAPHICS AND REALTEK HIGH DEF AUDIO, CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE. I HAVE THE LATEST SDRUNO DOWNLOAD. :roll:
Last edited by glenncos on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

ON5HB

Re: SOUND BUFFERING ABOVE SAMPLE RATE 5

Post by ON5HB » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Please do not write in capitals, people consider that as shouting. Thank you.

I have the same thing here, when putting the sample-rate too high it stutters.

There are limits to the sampling-rate you can do over USB.
The amount of ram or the speed of the CPU doesn't matter.

Don't forget that a sample rate of 5 MSPS is very very high, I usually stick around 2-3 MSPS.
Also, if you make the sample-rate higher the bitrate of the ADC will be lower, that means the dynamic range (also known as S/N ratio) will be lower.

Unless you need a high sample-rate (read big number of MHz covered) there it no advantage setting it very high as the sample-bits drop.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Bas:
This does not occur with HDSDR, SDRRadio.com (V3), or SDRSharp v1361.
Logic says it's an SDRUno issue.
Unless you need a high sample-rate (read big number of MHz covered) there it no advantage setting it very high as the sample-bits drop.
Perhaps glencos wants to verify that he got what he paid for??

glencos: What is the version number of your SDRUno software? You can find it in the 'Main' window, click on Option then About. I've had the same problem in the past. It's a software related issue. There's likely nothing wrong with your computer.

ON5HB

Post by ON5HB » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Mike what do you mean by not getting what he paid for?

I have been playing with those high-sample-rates in the software and it's not as simple as saying it must work.
Big parts depend on the way software handles the I/Q information.

I myself can't get over 5 MHz, it starts. In SDR it all depends how well the code is written and how busses are handling stuff.

SDR stands for Software-Driven-Radio, that is not the same as old-fashioned radio's.
The code/driver has a major impact (if not all) over the performance.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm

In SDR it all depends how well the code is written and how busses are handling stuff.
Are you suggesting the code in SDRuno is not up to the task?

Not according to the published Datasheets:
From the RSP2 Datasheet:
"Up to 10MHz visible bandwidth"
"•SDRuno—World Class SDR software for Windows"

From the RSP1A Datasheet:
"Up to 10MHz visible bandwidth"

From the RSPDuo datasheet:
"Up to 10MHz visible bandwidth (single tuner mode) or 2 slices of 2MHz spectrum (dual tuner mode)"

glenncos

Post by glenncos » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Sorry aboout the capitals i may be scottish but didnt mean to shout lol...the reason why i ask this question is that when i go to the preselect bands 70cm etc the system sets me at 6 sample rate

glenncos

Post by glenncos » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Mike im running the 1.22 version for my RSP1A..Ibelieve thats the correct version

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:04 pm

I suspected that it was 1.22. I have an RSP2 that had the same issue. After installing version 1.23, I could then use the full 10MHz bandwidth without stuttering. 1.23 is no longer, 1.24 is available currently. The download page says it's for the SDRDuo, but others have installed it. I have not seen any reports of problems doing so. You might want to try it. I would install it in it's own separate directory from 1.22 so as not to overwrite 1.22. You then would have the use of both versions.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am

I use my RSP2 with SDRUno and it runs without problem. Below 6 MHz sample rate I can surf the web, play music etc at the same time, but above this I have to reduce the processor load a bit. SDRUno running on its own will reach 10 MHz b/w without any glitching. This is v1.22 and my laptop is a mid-spec i5 with 4 GB ram. Having said that, I find I stick mostly to fairly low rates such as 2 MHz.
I have heard there may be sub-standard USB systems in some PC's, and USB hubs can also cause bottlenecks.

Andy

ON5HB

Post by ON5HB » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Mike like I said, SDR depends on the software and how it is designed.
Also bugs etc won't help either.

I run a websdr.org server myself and the maximum it will do is 2.880 MSPS and with just 1 RSP1A

As soon as I go over it, weird things start to happen.
Also I found that motherboard gets into trouble when going over 7~8 MSPS with multiple boxes.

Many factors decide if it will do it or not.
The SDRplay devices can do it, without a doubt :lol:
glenncos wrote:Sorry aboout the capitals i may be scottish but didnt mean to shout lol...the reason why i ask this question is that when i go to the preselect bands 70cm etc the system sets me at 6 sample rate
LOL, yeah one of those things, others also asked me about the 70cm band for websdr.org and if our software can do it, sadly not.