Really basic question...

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
NoelC

Really basic question...

Post by NoelC » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Sorry for being a noob, but after having mastered getting the SDRuno software set up and doing what it's supposed to do...

I'd like to have the computer decode things like morse code and RTTY... I'm assuming there are add-ons that must do this. Where?

Thanks for all the knowledge and wisdom you are willing to share, and Happy New Year!

-Noel
Last edited by NoelC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

mikael

Re: Really basic question...

Post by mikael » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:28 am

Most often you'll not find one monolithic program doing everything you need. Instead you use one receiver software such as SDRuno and then feeding the audio output via a "virtual audio cable" (aka "VAC") to a decoder program, e.g. fldigi (http://www.w1hkj.com/) for many digital modes.

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Ah, thanks. So I guess these other programs take advantage of the computer's multitasking capabilities and analyze the audio output from the SDRuno software concurrent to receiving and decoding it into audio. I would have guessed there might be a more direct way that software could take advantage of the SDR and SDRuno software directly.

Is there an advantage to using "VAC" vs. a cable connection from Speaker Out to Line In? I have not had any other use for the Line In jack.

Do the popular/free "decoder programs" generally do a good/easy job of automatically detecting what is being received, or is it a matter of tweaking another whole bunch of controls to even begin to get any useful data out of the system? Not that I mind tweaking controls, mind you, I'm just trying to learn what to expect.

-Noel

mikael

Post by mikael » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:26 pm

A VAC got better SNR than a physical one. ;-) Actually, messing around with the signal levels can be troublesome using line out/in masking sure you are using the linear range of the DAC/ADC. Much easier just eliminating that issue using a virtual cable instead. There's free such for Windos, and using GNU/Linux you implement them using pulseaudio loopback modules.

The "popular decoder programs" most often don't identifies what mode used. It's quite a hard problem for the general case.