2 minor issues

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
mark.

2 minor issues

Post by mark. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm

I bought an RSP1 a few months ago and use it with SDRuno. I love this thing. There are still a number of very minor quirks that I hardly think about while using it and won't mention them right now. But there are 2 issues I would like to see corrected. I'm using version 1.22 but I believe this has been happening with previous versions also.

Is there some technical reason that opened settings windows are not saved as part of the workplace save feature? I keep 3 of them open while using the program and always have to manually open them each time I run SDRuno. The reason I have them open is because I like to have my FFT baseline way down at the bottom of it's window. When I change bands or adjust I.F. gain, the baseline moves and needs to be readjusted because it will sink offscreen or raise higher. So I need to keep both FFT settings windows open to constantly adjust them. The 3rd settings window I keep open is so I can switch between the two I.F. modes.

This brings me to the second issue. When I switch from one band to another, the I.F. gain setting changes. Many times it puts the slider all the way to the top. This happens without the AGC button enabled. I would expect the gain to stay where it is as I change bands if the AGC is disabled. And because it automatically adjusts the gain, it causes the baseline moving issue listed above.

Reason: No reason

Mike2459

Re: 2 minor issues

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:33 pm

mark: Regarding your second issue. I am running an RSP2.
I have noticed that when the IF AGC is disabled merely opening the settings window in the Main panel will cause the IF AGC gain to change to a new value. For example: If you set IF AGC Gain to 20db and close the settings windows in the main panel then reopen it, IF gain will now be 59db. Setting IF AGC to minimum is even worse, reopening the window will shift IF AGC to the max setting. If you place the IF AGC slider at the midpoint (39db) the change will only be 1db (40db) I've replicated this behavior on two different PC's running two different versions of SDRUno (version 1.13 to the current version). This annoyance renders manual IF AGC unusable. It does not occur at all when using SDR# v1361 with ExtIO.

If you would, please see if this behavior can be replicated with the RSP1.

mark.

Post by mark. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm

No. I do not have the problem that you mentioned.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Mike. Greetings from another RSP2 owner. I've never run it with the IF AGC off, so I thought I'd check and confirm (or not) your findings. I discovered that my RSP2 (with SDRUno 1.22) behaves exactly as yours does. Looks like another small bug to be sorted!

Andy

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks for confirming this. I was beginning to think my PC's had been invaded by Gremlins.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Mike2459 wrote:mark: Regarding your second issue. I am running an RSP2.
I have noticed that when the IF AGC is disabled merely opening the settings window in the Main panel will cause the IF AGC gain to change to a new value. For example: If you set IF AGC Gain to 20db and close the settings windows in the main panel then reopen it, IF gain will now be 59db. Setting IF AGC to minimum is even worse, reopening the window will shift IF AGC to the max setting. If you place the IF AGC slider at the midpoint (39db) the change will only be 1db (40db) I've replicated this behavior on two different PC's running two different versions of SDRUno (version 1.13 to the current version). This annoyance renders manual IF AGC unusable. It does not occur at all when using SDR# v1361 with ExtIO.

If you would, please see if this behavior can be replicated with the RSP1.
This behaviour of the IF AGC was supposed to be fixed in Version 1.22. However, Andy Play stated on the SDRUno Facebook Group that it is still not fixed and will be in the next release 1.23. However he said there is a short term solution - use RF Gain Reduction instead of Gain and it will work correctly. I hope it gets fixed. For now I when I am on a band where I need manual AGC I use HDSDR with the EXTIO open so that I can easily control the RF LNA and IF gain.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 am

Roger: Thanks for the info. I was using RF Gain - now switched to Gain Reduction. Manual AGC seems to be working as it should.