Feed Audio to DSD+ and speakers at the same time?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
ScottSNE

Feed Audio to DSD+ and speakers at the same time?

Post by ScottSNE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Hello,

I've just jumped back into the RSP world; I've owned a few of the original RSP1's over time and just bought the RSP2 Pro, which should be arriving today. I have seen some reference to DSD being successfully used and I understand the need to output the audio via VAC or VB Cable. My question is about whether it is currently possible to output a second audio stream exclusively for DSD+. In other words if I am monitoring a particular region of spectrum that contains both analog and digital signals, can I pipe the audio out to DSD via VAC and still listen to analog signals at the same time from the same VRX? I'm not seeing any indication that I can in the manual, so I guess I'm interested in "best practices" for doing so. In the interest of full disclosure I'm used to the SDR# world where I can do this with a plugin.

Thanks in advance!

Scott/KC1UA

Reason: No reason

pticafilin

Re: Feed Audio to DSD+ and speakers at the same time?

Post by pticafilin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm

There is a plugin for SDR# named DSD Interface: http://rtl-sdr.ru/page/plagin-dsd-interface (page in Russian but Google translate would help).
It has 'AUX audio output' option that does exactly what you need.
Last edited by pticafilin on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

You can output on a VB Cable AND listen to the same stream by configuring Windows to do this. I use VB Cable and here is the setup...

1. Right click on the sound icon at the bottom right hand corner on your Task Bar. Select Recording Devices.
2. A window pops up - Double left-click Cable Output
3. Select Listen Tab
4. Put a check mark in box "Listen to this device"
5. Under Playback through this device select the speakers that you use for Windows sounds (when listening to Media Player or Youtube)
6. Click OK to close window and then OK to close recording window
7. You will now hear whatever goes out on VB Cable on your speakers.
Attachments
do this.PNG
do this.PNG (94.43 KiB) Viewed 18405 times

ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm

That would work, sure, but then I'd also be listening to the digital stream at the same time I'd be trying to hear the decoded audio I would think.

For a while I had one of the Elad SDR's that covered HF and up into the VHF-HI range. Its native software had a second simultaneous audio output that did the very thing I'm looking for. I don't write software but it must be something that's possibly do-able. Unfortunately, what I tend to see with a lot of SDR software is that the majority of emphasis of operation caters to HF listening, and often comes up short for VHF and above enthusiasts. Another glaring omission in SDRUno is the lack of CTCSS and DCS decoding. But, that could also be accomplished by third-party software where there a simultaneous second audio output.

This is more of an out of the box observation than complaint. I have not used SDRUno before today and I do like it a lot, but for this one user anyway it would be a lot better if the above would be considered for future releases.

Thanks for your reply, Roger. I'll fiddle around with your suggestion and see if it's livable.

Scott

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm

I do not know what you mean by two audio outputs. My suggestion gave you two audio outputs on one VRX - one via the audio cable and the other on the windows speakers. If you mean that the decoded output of DSD and the output of VB Cable will be mixed together just use a second sound card and select it in the "listen to this device" dropdown menu. Plug in USB sound devices are cheap. I use USB speakers in my setup. I output the VRX0 audio to the laptop speakers and VRX1 output to the USB speakers. SDRuno also has the ability for VRX0 to output on the left speaker and VRX1 to output on the right speaker.

ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for your help both here and at Facebook (unless I'm working with two different Rogers here). Once I started up the second VRX things quickly came to light for me. It's a quite different way of doing things than I've been used to but I think it's going to be a pretty darned good one.

I appreciate your help.

Scott