RSP-1 and SDRUno 1.23 and newer?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
NoelC

RSP-1 and SDRUno 1.23 and newer?

Post by NoelC » Wed May 23, 2018 8:17 pm

From the tenor in another thread, it's not clear whether SDRplay is continuing to support the use of newer versions of SDRuno with older RSP hardware (I have and still like an RSP-1 very much). Nothing apparently has been done to actively break support, but apparently testing hasn't been particularly rigorous either.

One of the attractions of software defined radio is that software can be improved relatively painlessly and enable more enjoyment / features from existing hardware.

I know that my RSP-1 has not been the current cutting-edge version for a year or two, but I have been extremely pleased to find that versions up through 1.22 have supported it nicely. But version 1.22 isn't perfect yet - for example I'd always hoped to see some kind of scanner functionality implemented. Nothing about the RSP-1 precludes this from what I gather.

I am not currently motivated to buy a new RSP... I'm not a Ham looking for the very best performance but just an SWL with a computer a few years old and who has a reasonable antenna. The RSP-1 in this role still actually works VERY well for me. For example I'm enjoying FM stereo broadcast radio as I type this, and I sometimes poke around the SW band to see/hear what's out there.

So... To my question...

SDRplay folks: Can you please comment on your ongoing support policy?

In short: Can we older RSP users continue to hope for new SDRuno releases with a few new features?

Please know that at the point where I begin to crave better hardware I'll certainly consider your hardware first - presuming I haven't felt left out by software updates in the interim. Familiarity with the software figures heavily into this.

I do understand that "if you want to play you have to pay", but I don't think I'm alone in thinking hardware - even inexpensive hardware - shouldn't have to be replaced every year or two if it still works.

Thanks.

-Noel

Reason: No reason

mbott

Re: RSP-1 and SDRUno 1.23 and newer?

Post by mbott » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm convinced that this question was answered back on May 17.

"Release 1.23 is primarily for the RSPduo. That said, it should work with all RSPs, but the level of testing with other RSPs is considerably less than with the RSPduo. It will install alongside release 1.22, but be aware that if you reset the registry in one version, you will wipe out the settings for both versions. The automatic update check does not yet flag that 1.23 is available. That is deliberate. We don't want to stampede people into upgrading if they don't need to. In the longer term, all versions of SDRuno will migrate to the Service based API. This gives better handling of multiple devices and is essential for the RSPduo. If you do not have a RSPduo, please feel free to try release 1.23 and let us know if you have any issues. The best way to do this is to open a support ticket via http://www.sdrplay.com/support"

Sony ICF-2010 Sangean ATS-909X Icom IC-R71A & IC-7300 Tecsun PL-660 Kenwood R-1000 & R-5000 Yeasu FRG-7 SDRplay RSP2 & RSPduo Airspy HF+ & Discovery JRC NRD-535D CountyComm GP-5/SSB Pixel RF Pro-1B Wellbrook ALA1530LNP

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

At no point have we ever suggested that we will drop support for older products in newer versions of SDRuno. This is simply not the case. Please remember that the RSPduo was launched at a very specific event (Dayton) and as a consequence the software had to be released on a specific date. that places a finite limit ont he amount of testing that was possible. Because we were launching a new product and that we were on a defined schedule, it is only logical that the main focus for testing will have been the new product as opposed to older products. It would have been bizarre (given that the new software was required for the RSPduo) to have placed the largest testing emphasis on the RSP1 or RSP2 and not the RSPduo.

Now to be clear, we have no reason to believe that there will be any problems with the RSP1, RSP2 or RSP1A. We simply ask people that if they have any problems to let us know via www.sdrplay.com/support and we will endeavour to ensure that it is addressed in a later release.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm

A major benefit of the switch to an API is that now I can access the full bandwidth (10 Mhz) of my RSP2 @ decimation=1. Prior to v1.23 I was limited to 4 Mhz. At 10 Mhz B/W, CPU usage runs about 14% with the API using about 5% for a total of 19%. Not bad at all. Thanks

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Mike2459 wrote:A major benefit of the switch to an API is that now I can access the full bandwidth (10 Mhz) of my RSP2 @ decimation=1. Prior to v1.23 I was limited to 4 Mhz. At 10 Mhz B/W, CPU usage runs about 14% with the API using about 5% for a total of 19%. Not bad at all. Thanks
I noticed this as well. Previously with V1.22 I had to back off to around 3MHZ sampling rate before I could listen to anything without the audio chopping. With V1.23 I can now view a full 10MHz spectrum and listen to anything at the same time without having to reduce the sampling rate. In addition, the CPU overhead seems to be a lot lower.

Running an AMD A10-5800 at around 3.8GHz with 8GB ram, I see SDR at 45% and System at 80% for V1.2, and SDR at 25% and System at 70% for V1.23, both sampling at 10MHz and decimation at 1. Quiet a reduction in CPU loading, and very good news for those with older and slower PC's like mine. I'm running both versions with RSP1A and RSP2, and so far I've not noticed any problems.

For those worried about support, personally I've found the support from SDRplay to be second to none. There are more than a few companies out there that could learn from their approach to support.

73's

Steve

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 pm

OK, then, thank you for the support. As I mentioned, one of the selling features of software-defined radio is that the software can (and by implication WILL) improve for the same hardware. I do understand the need to sell the latest hardware, and I will most certainly buy the latest again at some point, but not yet.

By the way, considering the need to monetize the product in order to continue to fund advancements, I for one would be amenable to paying a subscription fee to help finance updates to the software. I'm imagining no fee paid, stay with the software you got with the hardware; subscribe and get the latest well-tested software automatically. Maybe even have an advanced subscription that provides the latest hardware.

Short of that, a fee (e.g., $19.95) for software updates that advance features is a traditional way of ensuring the software development isn't a constant loss leader. I'd pay a Jackson more for a scanner feature.

Hard to imagine you couldn't think up a business model where this could make you even more money. It's a good product! You have the hard part done.

I will try the newest version with my RSP-1 and you'll hear back from me if there are problems. I will make sure to back up the registry and my existing installation so it could be reverted.

Enjoying the heck out of this box and SDRuno, and hope to continue to do so...

-Noel

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:51 pm

OK, first bit of feedback...

WHY don't you have code that adapts the saved settings and workspaces of one version to the next? Even if things in this or that particular window end up off a bit, I sure as heck don't relish the idea of setting everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, up again.

Have you considered opening the source code up to developers? You never know, someone might be willing to contribute a settings migration module.

-Noel

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Second bit of feedback:

SDRuno 1.23 is useless with an RSP-1 for shortwave listening.

Set up the same in every way I could see, with 1.23 I find MW stations are hammering the entire shortwave band. Yes, I know there's no dedicated special MW filter in an RSP-1. However, SOMETHING is seriously wrong. These screen grabs, taken a few minutes apart tell it all:

I tried restarting the SDRplayAPIService, I tried a complete reset of settings. No difference.

-Noel

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 pm

The LNA button is backwards, which may be at least partially responsible for the above. The display cleans up some with the [ LNA ] button lit up.

Note that the IF GAIN / IF ATTEN slider is practically unresponsive if one disables the [ AGC ] button. I *might* be able to live with this for a while because I almost always keep it on.

If you'd like someone versed in software development and testing to beta test RSP-1 usage before your releases, please let me know.

-Noel

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Audio quality is poorer with LOW IF at startup with 1.23 than with 1.22. I tuned 10.0 MHz at startup and it sounds like there's a very low (a few cycles per second) beat frequency against WWV when I start 1.23. That's not there with 1.22.

-Noel