Frequency drifting when using port A

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
dougelec

Frequency drifting when using port A

Post by dougelec » Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Apologies if this is a has been covered before but I have searched the forum and can't find any mention.

I've recently connected a discone antenna to the A port of my RSP2 and have noticed the frequency drifting by itself. Entered some airband and marine frequenices into the memory and after selecting a particular channel the display begins to drift off frequency. This doesn't happen when using the high impedance input on HF?

Is this normal?

Cheers in anticipation.
Last edited by dougelec on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: Frequency drifting when using port A

Post by Tech_Support » Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 am

Hello Dougelec,
Not only is this not normal, it isn't actually possible for one port to exhibit drift and the other not. Everything uses the same frequency reference inside an RSP and so drift can only come from changes in the frequency reference. It should be stressed that the higher frequency you are looking at, any temperature drift will be exaggerated because 1ppm at 10 MHz is 10 Hz, whereas it is 100 Hz at 100 MHz.

Can you quantify the level of drift that you are seeing? What software are you using? Do you have AFC turned on?

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

dougelec

Post by dougelec » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying.

It actually seems more pronounced today; click on an active frequency on the marine band and the red line on the waterfall starts to move, mostly towards the LO frequency, as does the display. Doesn't seem to matter if the AFC is on or off.

I've videoed it but can't attach the file.

Cheers.
Last edited by dougelec on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Hello Dougelec,
If the red line itself is moving, then SDRuno is actually changing the frequency as opposed to the H/W actually drifting. Can you confirm that the main frequency display is changing? If so, this is not drift in the hardware, but is in fact a setting in SDRuno.

If you can't get to the bottom of this, I would either open up a support ticket on www.sdrplay.com/support or try a factory re-set for SDRuno. To do this, open up the Options Panel (OPT on the main panel) and select reset to Default settings. Note that if you do this, you will lose all save workspaces and any unsaved memory banks.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support