Set up stumbles

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
wbmccarty

Set up stumbles

Post by wbmccarty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 pm

I've set up earlier versions of SDRPlay without difficulty. However, I'm having trouble with the new RSP2Pro. I'm running Windows 10 (it's a new PC). When I hit Play to try to start streaming data I get the message "Device cannot be initialised." Is there a troubleshooting procedure or anything that might help me isolate the cause of the problem?

I didn't see any alerts during installation. But, just the same, my intuition leads me to suspect a faulty installation. I don't find a plain-text installation log that might point me to trouble.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Last edited by wbmccarty on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

wbmccarty

SOLVED: Set up stumbles

Post by wbmccarty » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Using a different USB port resolved the problem. I suspect that the port I first used is a USB-3 port that doesn't handle USB-2 well.

Just the same, I'm still curious regarding my question. That is, where can I find troubleshooting and diagnostic procedures?

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

vk7jj

Re: Set up stumbles

Post by vk7jj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Using a different USB port resolved the problem. I suspect that the port I first used is a USB-3 port that doesn't handle USB-2 well.
Similar problem in VMWare Fusion running Windows 10 on a Macintosh with nothing but USB-3, it's very hard to figure out what's causing the problem given it's a virtual machine etc.

The solution is an obscure setting in Fusion that provides USB-2 compatibility for a USB-3 port.

Hijacked your thread because though I've posted it before these life-saving snippets get lost, renewing them seems a good idea.

Phil VK7JJ

wbmccarty

Post by wbmccarty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:37 am

Hijack away, especially since my problem is solved! But, seriously, I think your experience is on topic. And I can hope it will be helpful to someone else who ends up in these same twisty passages.

Cheers,

wbmccarty

Post by wbmccarty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 am

P.S. There's also that Windows thing (which I've experienced but not found documented) in which a driver gets associated with a specific USB port. If the driver configuration isn't right it sometimes seems that the only way to fix it is to install the driver using a different USB port (which is done by plugging the USB device into that different USB port). That's more or less what happened in my case.