Sett Menu: SAM mode settings

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
Paul

Sett Menu: SAM mode settings

Post by Paul » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 am

Could anyone explain (simply?) just how the SAM filters are intended to work please?
The bandwith control is self-explanatoy (I think).
However, just what the HP Filter FC is remains a mystery to me (and perhaps others).
I had initially assumed that HP perhaps stands for HIgh Pass, which but what of FC? (If so, why associate a high-pass filter exclusively with this mode?
There is pecious little guidance that is understandable to a neophyte in this part of the manual I'm afraid, as elsewhere in it, the authour/s probably assume a depth of knowledge greater than users not versed in radio-technology possess.

Reason: No reason

g4enz

Re: Sett Menu: SAM mode settings

Post by g4enz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Paul,

I use SAM regularly in SDRuno but must confess to never having seen the options FC and HP that you ask about. Where are you seeing them?

Regards,
Martin - G4ENZ

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:41 am

Hi Martin
Thanks for your response.
These are to be found on th receiver control panel, under the SETT menu as SAM/HP.
I had assumed that HP Filter probably referred to a High Pass filter, but if it is, I have certainly failed to to use it effectively.
As far as my use of SAM is concerned, it is normally my preferred operating mode (initially) for DSB/SSB, but occasionally, after software (Win 10) updates, it throws a "wobbly" and signals corrupt after seconds/minutes.
I am usually (eventually, after ignorant fiddling) able to stabilise it until the next update event.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am

High pass frequency cutoff.
Lower frequencies are suppressed in the audio playback. That is, you have more or less "bass" when e. g. listening to a music station. e. g. 50 Hz: for music, e. g. 300 Hz: for speech.
This setting also works for AM and LSB, USB, not only for SAM. SAM/HP does not mean that both are related.
73s, Heinrich

g4enz

Post by g4enz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi Paul,

Well after a year of using SDRuno, I had never strayed into the SAM/HP settings. It just goes to show, there's always something new to play with.

Regards,
Martin

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Thank you (yet again) Heinrich for your time and sharing your knowledge.
All is clear now, to be honest I had noted the tonal effects, but had assumed that it was a by-product of some other function.
I am wiser now (and happier too), there always seems to be something new to learn with uno.