Mute SDRUno during transmit

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
n3hkn

Mute SDRUno during transmit

Post by n3hkn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:40 pm

I bought the RSP1A to use with my FT-450D. Reason - audio on the FT-450D was not good. Noise reduction has the usual ancient muddy stuff. SDRUno is 10 times better. Setup is the radio receiving with an amplified loop and sending with an attic dipole. Controlled by a PTT managed switch box to turn on xmit antenna during transmit and disconnect the loop during transmit.

For this new setup I connect the transmit antenna directly to the FT-450D and connect the loop, via its switch box, to the PC/SDRUno.. Electrically this works. The problem is that the RSP1A remains in active receive (SDRUno) during transmit and sees the transmitted signal, playing the content of the transmission. Is there a way to mute SDRUno during transmit.
Dick N3HKN
Last edited by n3hkn on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

n3hkn

Re: Mute SDRUno during transmit

Post by n3hkn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Found the answer in a footnote in the manual: Use the "T" key. Single click places SDRuno in transmit as well as the transceiver. It also mutes the audio to prevent feedback from monitoring while transmitting. Clicking the T key or the microphone returns to monitor mode. Problem solved. :)
Last edited by n3hkn on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm

If you connect SDRuno to the FT-450D via Omni-Rig when you transmit the FT-450D will send a command to Omni-Rig that it is in transmit mode and this will be passed to SDRuno so that it will automatically mute.

swanawood

Post by swanawood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi
I just came across this, and I found a solution (I also have a 991)

My setup is ominirig+991+sdr uno as well.

After digging into CAT manual and ominirig INI file I found that the ini is wrong because when I press PTT via the pedal attached to my 991 the correct parameter given by the radio to omnirig is 2 and not 1 as written in the ini file;
I put here the relevant final part of 991.ini coming from original installation:

[STATUS6]
Command=(TX;)
ReplyEnd=(;)
Validate=(TX.;)
Flag1=(..0.)|pmRX
Flag2=(..1.)|pmTX

to be changed in :

[STATUS6]
Command=(TX;)
ReplyEnd=(;)
Validate=(TX.;)
Flag1=(..0.)|pmRX
Flag2=(..2.)|pmTX

looking into CAT manual of 991 the syntax of CAT command parameter "TXP1;" is :
P1
0: RADIO TX “OFF” CAT TX “OFF”
1: RADIO TX “OFF” CAT TX “ON”
2: RADIO TX “ON” CAT TX “OFF” (Answer)

apparently when you press the ptt on the radio, it answer back TX2;
And now it works (for me)....

Hope this help you guys!
Cheers
Last edited by swanawood on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

gary.k7ek

Post by gary.k7ek » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am

I have a myriad of amateur radio rigs with which I would like to use my SDRPlay. While I understand that some rigs can be programmed via software to mute the SDRPlay when the transmitter keys, many cannot, especially vintage gear. What would solve that problem would be a jack on the SDRPlay specifically for muting if closed by the amateur radio transmitter. In addition to simply muting the receiver audio, some means of placing a direct short across the SDRPlay antenna jack would also be very desirable during transmit. Since so many amateur radio operators and other would like to use their SDRPlay with various amateur radio transmitting gear, perhaps this should be considered for future releases. Or perhaps a retrofit kit of some sort could be added to the SDRPlay which would accomplish the desired functionality as described. I know that many MARS as well as amateur radio operators (including myself) would like to configure their stations to use an SDRPlay in place of the station receiver for use with ALE. This would be in an effort to eliminate the constant clicking and clacking of bandpass relays in the station equipment during scanning. With proper SDRPlay muting as well as front end RF protection, using SDRPlay with programs such as MARS-ALE and PC-ALE would be greatly simplified. Perhaps these requests might be considered. Thanks for listening.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)
Last edited by gary.k7ek on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Gary,

For vintage rigs you might consider using an Arduino microcomputer (a few dollars) to monitor the PTT (SEND) line and output a Kenwood Tx command via the USB port to the RSP. The protocol for Kenwood rigs is very simple to implement and there would not be much programming involved. A good starter project with Arduino.