Recording with SDR Console v3, listening with SDRUno ?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
Patrick73

Recording with SDR Console v3, listening with SDRUno ?

Post by Patrick73 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi there,

When on holidays in Brittany, I made some short I/Q recordings on MW using SDR Console v3 and a HF+ SDR. My RSPduo was intended to FM DX.

Now, to cancel very close carriers, I need an extra sharp manual notch. That's why I'd like to play the file with SDRuno to benefit from its amazing notch, but all I get is 'white noise', whatever the mode and the frequencies are. The S-meter also shows full scale and I can't see any carrier or signal, whatever the waterfall settings are.

Of course, everything is fine when running Console v3.

Does it mean one can not play with Uno the files that were recorded using SDR Console v3 ?
I asked Simon and his reply was : "This is a question for the SDRUno team", so here I am !

Attached is a screenshot of how it looks like when playing the file.

Thanks a lot,
Pat
Attachments
Uno  rec v3.JPG
Uno rec v3.JPG (163.07 KiB) Viewed 12194 times

Reason: No reason

Mike2459

Re: Recording with SDR Console v3, listening with SDRUno ?

Post by Mike2459 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm

I recorded a 16 bit I/Q file with SDR Console (2.048 MHZ BW) and attempted to play it back with SDRUno 1.23. It loaded and played back fine, however the frequency information was not loaded by SDRUno. It stayed at the value last used when Uno was online.

32bit recordings caused more problems, they played back but caused high CPU usage, were high in amplitude, caused SDRUno to stutter and eventually crash.

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Mike,

My recordings are 32 bits I/Q files (768 kHz BW), and the SDR was an Airspy HF+.
What you call 'high in amplitude" is probably what can be seen from my screenshot, i.e full scale s-meter all over the recorded range.

In the end, I hardly use SDRuno :
- no MPX output to run RDSspy for FM DX
- Impossible to play HF files I recorded with my second set-up

Very frustrating and disappointing ...

I hope the SDRplay Team will fix this playback 'issue' so that users can use this great piece of software, even if the file was recorded with another products.

Thanks a lot.

4nradio

Post by 4nradio » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Pat,

In years past I would sometimes record with HDSDR and play back the WAV files with Studio 1. That worked well so I could take advantage of HDSDR's scheduler.

Perhaps SDRuno will successfully play back HDSDR WAV files? I have not tried this yet, but since SDRuno is derived from Studio 1 it may work. Of course, HDSDR doesn't have the full feature set of SDR-Console, but if your goal is to use the sharp manual notch filters of SDRuno on files created with other software, maybe this will be a work-around.

Guy

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for the tip Guy. I could, indeed, give a try to HDSDR but this means one more software to run ... It would be so nice to have SDRuno allowing to play SDR Console 32 bits recordings (knowing that the latter already allows the users to run their RSP, except the Duo).

No one from the SDRplay Team can explain why it's not possible ?