RSP1A as panadapter

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
joel_l

RSP1A as panadapter

Post by joel_l » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi,

I am using an RSP1A and SDRuno to run as a panadapter on my FTDX5000. I am using the IF out from the dx5000 and this is working fine. Operationally I have two issue I can't solve.

On the main window, there is a Lo Lock button, my preferred operation is with this set. The spectrum stays fixed and the marker acts like a tune needle and scrolls as I tune. The issue is that in this mode, SDRuno does not respond to band changes from the radio.

Another issue I have seen is that in the main windows setup screen where you set the radios Lo frequency, things for me work much better when it's not enabled. I still get the spectrum output as expected.

My best/favorite solution would be where I can get band changes from the radio while the main windows Lo Lock is set.

Thanks

Joel
Last edited by joel_l on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Roger

Re: RSP1A as panadapter

Post by Roger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:43 pm

joel_l wrote:Hi,

Another issue I have seen is that in the main windows setup screen where you set the radios Lo frequency, things for me work much better when it's not enabled. I still get the spectrum output as expected.

My best/favorite solution would be where I can get band changes from the radio while the main windows Lo Lock is set.

Thanks

Joel
Unfortunately in the present version of SDRuno when the LO is locked SDruno will only respond to frequencies within the present band. As you observed you cannot do band changes from the radio and have SDRuno track the radio with the LO locked. The LO is automatically locked when you use the keypad in SDRuno to change bands.

What you can do is select a band like 20M which gives you 350 KHz. of bandwidth and then unlock the LO. SDRuno will then track the radio but if you switch bands in SDRuno you will have to remember to unlock the LO.

You might want to try SDR-Console or HDSDR to see if they better meet your needs.

joel_l

Post by joel_l » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 am

Hi,

I did not care for HDSDR, I'l see what SDR-Console looks like.

I do have SDRuno working acceptably. Lo Lock left off in both places, Lo just tracks the tune frequency. The band scrolls but that's OK. I do everything through the radio, so this is the best setup fore me.

I will check out SDR-Console.

Thanks

Joel
Last edited by joel_l on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Have you tried the IF output mode in SDRuno? - I enable that for the IF output on my FT-950 and then use the band framing buttons just as I would do normally with an external antenna.

To enable IF output mode, go into the SETT panel in the Main Window and specify the IF output frequency and press ENABLE in the OFFSET section.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

joel_l

Post by joel_l » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:18 pm

I have played now with SDR-Console, SDR-Uno, and HDSDR. All have pluses and minuses.

I would like SDRUno best but I don't like how the tracking works.

I use this on my FTDX5000 connected to the IF out. For the most part everything works. Whether or not IF is enabled in SDRUno does not seem to matter.

What I want,

The main thing I want that doesn't seem to work is,

I push a band button on the 5000, it switched on SDRuno. the spectrum is centered on the band I selected and the span is appropriate for the band. This seems to work OK from SDRUno, but not from the radio. Hopefully this gets added some day.

I also want the spectrum to stay centered in the band when I tune and have the tune marker move across the spectrum. I had this working once.

It takes too many actions on the GUI to get things where I want them. I really just want a panadapter on operate everything from the radio.

SDR-Console comes the closest but does not handle dual VFOs well.

If I could set up SDRUno to work as I mention above, it would be my goto.

I understand that being used as a panadapter was probably accidental to the use of these devices. They are handy for it, just wish it was a wee bit better.

Joel