SDRUno Ready for Diversity RX With SDRDuo?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
ve3hls

SDRUno Ready for Diversity RX With SDRDuo?

Post by ve3hls » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

Been waiting patiently for you to release a version of SDRUno that takes advantage of the RSODuo's dual receivers for noise cancellation, etc. Thought I just saw a video in which Andy said it was available. Really? Where?

I downloaded SDRUno just now and don't see anything like it in there. Your SDRUno Release Notes, dated 24 Aug, just like the SDRUno release makes no mention of it and the SDRUno User Manual hasn't been updated since 18 May.

Really hoping to make use of this capability for MW DXing because the Duo does seem to work OK on the MW band. Been waiting since they first went on sale. If I've missed it in SDRUno then I'd appreciate some help.

Please give me some hope!
Last edited by ve3hls on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: SDRUno Ready for Diversity RX With SDRDuo?

Post by sdrplay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:26 pm

The Windows API can provide time and phase synchronous streams from the 2 tuners and has been proven to work...

https://www.sdrplay.com/example-linux-c ... to-stdout/

Support for dual streams will be coming in SDRuno 1.4 as per our roadmap...

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=6&t=3314

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

ve3hls

Post by ve3hls » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am

So what Andy *meant* in the interview is that the Windows API is ready, and according to your roadmap SDRUno is far from it. I can't run an API on my computer and I'm not a Linux user, so I guess I'll pack the radio away again and wait again. I'm kind of interested to see what a "re-architectured" version of SDRUno looks like.

sdrplay wrote:The Windows API can provide time and phase synchronous streams from the 2 tuners and has been proven to work...

https://www.sdrplay.com/example-linux-c ... to-stdout/

Support for dual streams will be coming in SDRuno 1.4 as per our roadmap...

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=6&t=3314

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by ve3hls on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm

To handle diversity, it is necessary to be able to process two independent I/Q steams in a single instance of SDRuno or any other SDR software. Currently, this is not possible in SDRuno, HDSDR, SDR# or any of the mainstream SDR programs. We will be completely re-architecturing some of the key signal processing interfaces in release 1.4 of SDRuno and one of these changes will make the handling of dual I/Q streams and hence diversity possible.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

MTG

Post by MTG » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm

I am interested in monitoring the phase change between the streams carrying "continuously" changing signals. Would it possible/intended to have a phase output file for these data?

SDRnerd

Post by SDRnerd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 pm

@ Tech support and development.

In May I bought the RSPduo in the hope of finally getting diversion reception running after 3 years waiting in vain with the Afedri AFE822x, which has also 2 receivers and never gained the software folow-up that it needed.

Seen, the efforts that the SDR-play team showed in the past I decided to give the RSPduo a chance.

Now 6 months after the start of its distribution nothing is realized towards diversity reception. The last SDRuno revision dates from august 2018.

Needless to say that I am disapointed. Shurely when I mailed a while ago in wich I wrote that I was willing to assist in bèta testing and even got got NO answer.

Yes I read the roadmap. But my personal opinion is that the funcionality of a dual tuner SDR, had to be a primal element that had to be working @ its introduction. Why else sell it? Even locking the two channels so they could simply tune in sync is not even supported. Also a very usefull feature.

I waited several weeks to write this and considered even not doing so, but grabbed the courage to do get on with it, even when I know I will get negative comments.

Just my 2 cents and a slice of frustration,
SDRnerd

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Dear SDRnerd
We publish our roadmap for software development to give our users an idea of how we are prioritising our development efforts. We do not publish timescales simply because it is extremely hard to predict how long certain tasks may take and what problems we may encounter.

We will not arbitrarily change our roadmap because some people complain no matter how frustrated they may be.
We are currently working on release 1.3 and one of the key features of this release is a scanning function. This has been a long standing commitment and we have a lot of customers waiting for it, customers who would be justifiably upset if we changed our priorities simply because of pressure from other users.

After release 1.3 has been completed, we will be working on release 1.4 and this will include support for diversity and noise cancelling for the RSPduo. This will require a major restructuring of SDRuno so that it can handle two I/Q streams within a single instance and so is not a trivial task. The API already contains the necessary functionality for this and we have customers who have implement such features in Linux already.

We receive numerous offers of help with beta testing, but do not generally respond, particularly when the functionality of interest to the user is not yet in remotely ready for external testing.

We already have a trusted beta testing group and when we look to expand that group, the criterion that we look for from a beta tester is that the individual should have already demonstrated that they give helpful, clear and informed support to the community. They must be capable of providing clear concise feedback and in particular be able to provide a repeatable sequence that exposes bugs. They must also understand the difference between beta testing and feature requesting.
When we see people who fit this criterion, we approach them to see whether they are willing to act as a beta tester at the appropriate time.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 pm

MTG wrote:I am interested in monitoring the phase change between the streams carrying "continuously" changing signals. Would it possible/intended to have a phase output file for these data?
If you don't need this in real-time you can do this via post-processing. Just have tuner 1 output the audio on the left channel and tuner 2 on the right channel. You will have to set fractional resampling so that you don't modulate the signal via buffering. Then record with Audacity which is an open source audio recorder. You can then shift the tracks in time to compensate for the time shift between channels. You can get them in perfect bit alignment. Works for me....

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:12 pm

SDRnerd wrote:@ Tech support and development.

In May I bought the RSPduo in the hope of finally getting diversion reception running after 3 years waiting in vain with the Afedri AFE822x, which has also 2 receivers and never gained the software folow-up that it needed.
SDRnerd
Afedri never did their own implementation but a modified version of PowerSDR does the job. More info at this link.

http://play.fallows.ca/wp/radio/softwar ... -powersdr/

Linrad also has some dual receiver capability with Afedri.

http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/run/phas ... ffice.html

SDRnerd

Post by SDRnerd » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:46 am

@ support

We publish our roadmap for software development to give our users an idea of how we are prioritising our development efforts. We do not publish timescales simply because it is extremely hard to predict how long certain tasks may take and what problems we may encounter.

I did copy this from previous discussions I have read on the forum, but I find this as a customer a kind of letting us in the dark here. A quarterly timescale indication shows that you care about us and keeping us a bit on track with development.

We will not arbitrarily change our roadmap because some people complain no matter how frustrated they may be.
We are currently working on release 1.3 and one of the key features of this release is a scanning function. This has been a long standing commitment and we have a lot of customers waiting for it, customers who would be justifiably upset if we changed our priorities simply because of pressure from other users.

I do understand that you want to keep the pressure from the developers and keep a straight line in the development scedule. At the other hand a but of pressure can lead to thinking out of the box and realizes some unexpected beatifull things.

After release 1.3 has been completed, we will be working on release 1.4 and this will include support for diversity and noise cancelling for the RSPduo. This will require a major restructuring of SDRuno so that it can handle two I/Q streams within a single instance and so is not a trivial task. The API already contains the necessary functionality for this and we have customers who have implement such features in Linux already.

I see this as a deviating answer from my remark as the software including diversity had to be in place when the RSPduo was put on sale. Just making and selling machines that COULD eventually do a thing, is not done seeing from a customer viewpoint. Considering it could be realized in "the near future" would be acceptable, but does not radiate trust. I know that some customers with programming skills have the thing working in linux. This does nothing to us mortal SDR users. I also have ARM based little machines, but they are peanuts compared to the a real working Win10 OS that maybe 95% of us use on a daily base. Also customers are most of the time USERS and no programmers who do this for fun as a hobby and get some satisfacion from it. Nice for them, but in general this carries no message to the average customer. Its a kind of bling bling they can not use. Kind of a showcase so to say. Mind you I love my Rpi and others.

We receive numerous offers of help with beta testing, but do not generally respond, particularly when the functionality of interest to the user is not yet in remotely ready for external testing.

Why, do these people not deserve a decent answer? Maybe we like to know why or why not. The answer does not have to be extremely detailed, but there is something called politeness and honesty, even in business.

We already have a trusted beta testing group and when we look to expand that group, the criterion that we look for from a beta tester is that the individual should have already demonstrated that they give helpful, clear and informed support to the community. They must be capable of providing clear concise feedback and in particular be able to provide a repeatable sequence that exposes bugs. They must also understand the difference between beta testing and feature requesting.
When we see people who fit this criterion, we approach them to see whether they are willing to act as a beta tester at the appropriate time.

Yes I do hope you have a trusted bèta team. But things go slow, dead slow. The last software revision was released in August. So you know, I have a good experience with diversity and have used it regulary for many years. Hence my decision to by the RSPduo. It is of absolute priority in combatting man made noise were all have complaining about. Diversity can do wonders and deserves MORE attention, lets say priority! Yes I know you don't like this word, but I have experienced what diversity can do with good and suitable antenna's. For this I have experimenting for several years now with home brew antenas and setups that will work good for diversity. Ok, scanning is also high on my list, but diversity is my number 1, but guessed this by now, hihi.

My conclusion is to put the RSP duo in its box until, who knows, when diversity will be supported. Until this happens I play around with the RSP1A wich works nice and keeps me questioning myself why I bought the RSPduo knowing what I know now.

Good luck