VHF and Above - Initial Observations

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
ScottSNE

VHF and Above - Initial Observations

Post by ScottSNE » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:46 pm

First off, many thanks for providing this software. Here are a few observations and thoughts. To be clear none of these are complaints; I respect and applaud the fact that this software is being provided for free given its history.

1. Should the WME output device when set to my installed Virtual Audio Cable app be sending raw audio to external programs such as DSD+ ? It does not or I am doing something wrong.
2. Under steps, can more be added, or can a "custom step setting" be added? If the former, I'd suggest 2.5 KHz, 7.5 KHz, and 25 KHz at the very least.
3. CTCSS/DCS decoding is a must for VHF and higher users. If you can decode RDS data how difficult can it be to decode subaudible tones? This type of decoding is huge when trying to identify unknown land mobile signals as such info is available in online databases such as Radio Reference's.
4. Can the band buttons be optimized for customization, in other words can I add a 450 MHz button, 470 MHz button instead of the amateur radio bands. That would be a nice option, or I've already missed it in the manual.
5. How does one increase the FFT quality? Mine is "stuck" at 1024 Pts. I do notice that if I increase the size of the screen by dragging it out the FFT increases or decreases, but I don't see any specific menu item for increasing it.
6. At 800 MHz I have to swap I and Q channels for proper tuning? When not swapped, the station I was trying to monitor was showing up at 857.775 MHz. When I swapped I and Q it tuned in its proper location at 855.2125 MHz.

Thanks, looking forward to further developments but for VHF/UHF use right now I'd still be inclined to use my old version of SDR#.

Scott
Last edited by ScottSNE on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: VHF and Above - Initial Observations

Post by g1hbe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Scott. I've been using the new Uno software for a day or so and I haven't found your IQ reversal problem. I listen quite a bit around 860/870 MHz and everything seems fine on the SRP with Uno, no reversal necessary. All freq's are where they should be, confirmed with a different receiver.
My problem is at the VLF end of the band, where it seems to be pot luck whether it receives or not. Sometimes it *says* it has gone to the right frequency, but it's actually still receiving the previous one. Other times it goes somewhere, but it aint where it should be! Once it gets into this mode it's a devil of a job talking to it at all!
Still, I'm sure the team will be working their way through these bugs as fast as they can.

Andy.
Last edited by g1hbe on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Andy

ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 am

I should have followed up. After my post I discovered that I had to swap I & Q when I was using a 5 MHz bandwidth. At 2 MHz there was not an issue. I was pressed for time at that point so I didn't try any other spans and I'm not in a position to test further right now.

I can't speak to the VLF issue, but I do understand that it's early in the game. It's nice to see this unit now with its own software, which I hope will continue to be developed with the entirety of its spectrum capability in mind.

Regards,
Scott
Last edited by ScottSNE on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 am

Ah, message understood. I'll try scudding about UHF with a 5 MHz bw. I rarely go above 2 MHz.
Andy

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 am

Scott - I've just had a poke around the 800 - 900 MHz region with a 5 MHz bw but was unable to reproduce the problem you mention. Very odd!
Andy