MultiWindow

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
chimbo84

MultiWindow

Post by chimbo84 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:36 pm

In your web tutorial you mentioned that you think the mutliple windows of SDRuno is useful but didn't really seem to give any reason why. How difficult would it be to make this an option?

I ask because I absolutely hate it. Its not really good programming practice to do this either at it fails to follow the natural expectation of the end user. I usually have upwards of three or four programs open when I am operating and I use Alt+Tab to switch between them. However, when SDRuno is active, it frontloads the ability to do this with every single windows and this capability of Windows OS is essentially useless. A setting to start in a single active window would be extremely useful and I can presing Alt+Tab ten times to get to the window I want.

Thanks!
Last edited by chimbo84 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: MultiWindow

Post by sdrplay » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Firstly, let me say, this is not our design. For as many people that say they don't like multiple windows, I have also seen many people say that they like it.

We have some ideas on how to improve this going forward. We do appreciate all the feedback we get on SDRuno as we want to make it a tool that works for everyone. That is clearly going to be a very difficult task.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Oh, reasons why...

Well if you have 3 or 4 VRXs then you don't need all 9-12 windows on the screen, you can just turn on/off the windows you need.
If you just want to listen to your favourite radio station then you don't have to spectrum viewer taking up real estate (lower CPU requirement as well)
If you just want the RDS information you can just have that by itself.
If you have multiple monitors, you can have some of SDRuno displayed on one and some of it on the others.

Some people use ALT-TAB, some use the taskbar, some use multi-desktops to switch apps.

Put it this way, with multiple windows you can have either part of the application showing or all of it, if it's just one window taking up the entire desktop then that might not be convenient for some people who want to have other demodulating software displayed at the same time.

There are probably as many pros and cons for both. People are used to a single window more because that's how 99% of applications work. You kind of get used to it. That doesn't mean it's always better, just different.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

chimbo84

Post by chimbo84 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:50 pm

I totally agree that some people like it and some don't. It would be nice if it was an option, thats all. The ability to put all SDRuno windows inside a single unified instance would be great for me and Im sure others would appreciate it as well.

I understand that you inherited this design when you acquired the rights to Studio1. Just this tweak would be a nice improvement IMHO.

Thanks.
Last edited by chimbo84 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.