Feedback for version 0.9a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
SteveAndrew

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 am

maccountrypilot wrote:Hi … I have the following equipment …. I have the RSP2 and the rsp1a. Although I use the RSP2 as intended, I also have an Icom 8500 that has a 10mhz port. What I want to do is use the rsp1a and the spectrum analyzer as a panadapter. I am having trouble getting both rsps to be recognized on the computer
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean here. Are you saying the computer does not see both devices, or the applications don't see both devices? You can check if the computer is seeing all connected devices by using the device manager on the control panel. You should see something like this:
DeviceManager.JPG
DeviceManager.JPG (25.45 KiB) Viewed 23442 times
The analyser should list all RSP devices that are connect to the computer. If the device is being used by another application, such as SDRuno, then the device is still listed, but the serial number is preceded by "U" to indicate it is present, but not available. If you have a device in use by the analyser, and then launch SDRuno, then SDRuno will only list the available devices.If a device is in use elsewhere (like the analyser) then it will not be listed.

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 am

Kees_01 wrote:Good news, and good news. The 1st good news is that the IDE terminal presented the good news, "Trackgen V1.0" after sending "Version".
That is very good news indeed. A couple of points to consider:

40MHz is the default spot, and sweep centre frequency. This set by the Arduino firmware.

The Freq-MHz control is only used to set a spot frequency, it has no effect of the sweep frequency. I should disable it when in tracking mode.

I've found a small bug in the way the tracking generator is working. The tracking sweep frequency should be set automatically according to the sweep width the anaylser is set to. This is not happening as it should. In order to get the tracking generator to pick up the correct sweep range, you need to do the following:

1 - Start the analyser sweeping.
2 - Click the tracking generator Enable button if not already enabled
3 - Click Track.
4 - Click Spot
5 - Click Track
6 - Click Start

If the analyser is running and you change the sweep centre frequency, you will need to :

1 - Click Stop
2 - Click Spot
3 - Click Track
4 - Click Start

What happening is that generator sweep settings are only being updated when the Track button is clicked. Changes to the analyser sweep settings are not being sent to the generator as they should. A final point. If the generator is in Track mode and running, and you close the analyser, the tracking generator continues sweeping. Either press Stop on the generator, or the Arduino reset button to stop tracking.

The above problems will be fixed in the next release.

In addition, I've added another output to the Arduino. A selected pin will pulse high at the start of each tracking sweep to allow synchronisation with an external device, such as an oscilloscope. In addition, another sync pin will be included to indicate the start of a wideband sweep by the analyser - It may be useful to have.

The Trackgen software actually started out as part of a project similar to what you are doing. I was building a vector analyser using the AD8307. I got the system pretty well up and running, and then got distracted with the analyser project. I'm having some thoughts about incorporating the VNA system into the analyser to give it added utility.

In addition, I was driving two DDS chips, they could be run as two independent generators, or slaved to each other with a fixed phase (and/or a frequency) difference between them, such as 90 degrees to give a quadrature output. That work very nicely, and the next release of the firmware may include that facility. As well as using it to generate a quadrature signal, the two outputs could be fed to a mixer to allow higher tracking sweep frequencies to be generated. This would extend the sweep output up to around 180MHz with two AD9851 devices. The only drawback with the quadrature system is that a minor bit of surgery is required so both DDS ic's are running off a common clock.

Let me know how you go with your project, I'd be interested to hear.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Steve,

With the Arduino IDE I have sent several commands, as described in your s.a. manual, to the Arduino UNO.
For example the Reset l After switching On the DDS9851 module, controlled by the Arduino UNO there was a (sinewave)output. After the RESET was received the Arduino let stop the DDS generating an output. The SPOTF frequency as well as the other commands are functioning well. I think the restriction here is that frequencies up to and including 9999 Hz (nnnn). So when I like to go higher in frequency then I have to use the Sweep control panel of the SAS s.a. app by changing the Centre Freq and Sweep width buttons. That works. With the IDE I sent also the GET Pins command. The result is as expected. I did not use the Set Pins commands, because that setting is fixed for me.
SteveAndrew wrote:1 - Start the analyser sweeping.2 - Click the tracking generator Enable button if not already enabled3 - Click Track.4 - Click Spot5 - Click Track6 - Click Start
1 - Start the analyser sweeping. I select now the Centre Frequency and sweep width
2 - Click the tracking generator Enable button if not already enabled
3 - Click Track.
4 - Click Spot
5 - Click Track
6 - Click Start
After pressing Start the DDS frequency sweep starts.
SteveAndrew wrote:If the analyser is running and you change the sweep centre frequency, you will need to :1 - Click Stop2 - Click Spot3 - Click Track4 - Click Start
After pressing Start the DDS frequency sweep starts with the updates Centre Frequency and sweepwidth.

Is it right that with a given Centre Frequency the Start- and End MHz values (printed in Blue in the Sweepcontrol section) remain the same when I press the 1MHz, 100 kHz or 10 kHz buttons? It looks like that the sweep width/speed of the DDS does also not change.

A pulse output for synchronising an oscilloscope is a very usefull option.
SteveAndrew wrote:The Trackgen software actually started out as part of a project similar to what you are doing. I was building a vector analyser using the AD8307. I got the system pretty well up and running, and then got distracted with the analyser project. I'm having some thoughts about incorporating the VNA system into the analyser to give it added utility.
As you may see on the picture I have also used two AD8307 boards (https://www.sv1afn.com/ad8307pmh-1.html). They are working very well. Very lineair and low noise 25mV/db, 50 mV/dB and 100 mV/dB output. The LCD display was not connected during our experiments.
ScalarNWA-protoboard.jpg
ScalarNWA-protoboard.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 23418 times
Scalar NWA proto board.

I found a very nice DIY Dual Directional Coupler, 5 - 1000 MHz, 20 dB at https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/DI ... oupler.php with all data to produce such one.

Good luck.

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Steve,

I would like to experiment with the tracking generator, and I have been following the discussion. I have both a Mega and Uno. I have not been able to find where I can down load the Mega software. Where can I get the software?

Don
K9AQ

sdjack

Post by sdjack » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm

K9AQ wrote:Steve,

I would like to experiment with the tracking generator, and I have been following the discussion. I have both a Mega and Uno. I have not been able to find where I can down load the Mega software. Where can I get the software?

Don
K9AQ
It°s just in the directory where you installed the Analyzer software.
Last edited by sdjack on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Kees_01 wrote:Is it right that with a given Centre Frequency the Start- and End MHz values (printed in Blue in the Sweepcontrol section) remain the same when I press the 1MHz, 100 kHz or 10 kHz buttons? It looks like that the sweep width/speed of the DDS does also not change.
No, there is a bug that is related to region settings. You will need to set your region/language to English/UK or English/USA. You do not need to change the language setting, but you will need to change your region. This has been fixed for the release.
Kees_01 wrote:I think the restriction here is that frequencies up to and including 9999 Hz (nnnn). So when I like to go higher in frequency then I have to use the Sweep control panel of the SAS s.a. app by changing the Centre Freq and Sweep width buttons.
The frequency is entered in HZ, the 'nnnn' was just an example. You can enter any frequency you want from 1Hz to to the upper limit of the DDS you are using. For example: 12345678HZ.
Kees_01 wrote:As you may see on the picture I have also used two AD8307 boards
A typo on my part. I meant to say I was using the AD8302, the gain and phase detector IC. Nice looking setup, Lego electronics :D

I have an Arduino Uno on the way and will check my code on that, although it sound as if everything is now working as it should do.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 am

Hi Steve,
After the measurements of the DDS output in my setup (playing with several settings of the SAS s.a. app), I tried to upload something else to my Arduino UNO. But nothing happend. The TX/RX LED did not flash and the IDE gave UPLOAD errors like:
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30 , Failure during upload etc.
This is now the second Arduino UNO from which the com port is "blown up". The green pwr LED as well as the yellow LED are still ON but no COMM activity anymore. A Loop back test (RESET to ground and pin 1 connected to pin 2) with the serial monitor returned also rubbish.
The first Arduino UNO I had, was also blown up. I saw a little smoke around the commport circuitry and smelled it. But from the last Arduino UNO I have not seen such smoke. Is it possible that a commport can be damaged when I unplug or plugin a usb cable to an Arduino when the PC is switched on?

I had also a new NANO to check if the USB connection was OK. And it is OK.
So I will order new ones but I may consider now to also order a MEGA as well....

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Steve,

Coming back on my last post I can tell you with pleasure that the Arduino UNO by which we have done the test with Trackgen has come to live again!
Do not ask how this could happen, because I was playing with the USB cable, selecting different com ports, measuring some smd resistors on this board compared to my first defective one, trying the serial monitor to send something, uploading a testfile of a blinking LED and I saw at once that the yellow LED was blinking. I still find the situation so strange, because a new Arduino NANO started immediately to blink yesterday with the blinking LED sketch and after that not the UNO.
Of course then Trackgen was loaded up with Xloader and tried a frequencysweep sending the simple commands with the serial monitor and on the scope a saw the sweepresult! This means that I will go for the UNO for now.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Kees_01 wrote:Coming back on my last post I can tell you with pleasure that the Arduino UNO by which we have done the test with Trackgen has come to live again!
I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. I've maade a few additions to the Trackgen code, such as a sync pulse output, plus a few other things. I'll post an updated version for you under a new thread when it's ready. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 am

Hi Steve,

In the trackgen section I see that the lowest possible spotfrequency is 0,1 MHz and when I hover the mouse over the spot frequency field I see an increment of 150 kHz using the mousewheel. In SDR UNO when you right click in the frequency display of the RX panel then you may select the frequency step by which you can change the frequency with the mousewheel when you put your mouse anywhere in the field of the SP2 window. I think it is worth to have such possibility also for the spotfrequency?

When I launch SAS-s.a. then sometimes the program starts as shown in fig.1 Clicking the Spectrum button once then I have the full field back. It performs when you have used SDR-UNO before laucnhing SAS-s.a. If one knows it (manual), then it is a minor detail.
Attachments
fig 1.jpg
fig 1.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 23172 times