Feedback for version 0.9a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
SteveAndrew

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 am

Kees_01 wrote:When I launch SAS-s.a. then sometimes the program starts as shown in fig.1 Clicking the Spectrum button once then I have the full field back. It performs when you have used SDR-UNO before laucnhing SAS-s.a. If one knows it (manual), then it is a minor detail.
I've seen that the analyser does this when launched, only very occasionally, even if Uno has not been run before launching the analyser. I can see no reason (so far) why it should, but it's on the list of things to sort out.
Kees_01 wrote:In the trackgen section I see that the lowest possible spotfrequency is 0,1 MHz and when I hover the mouse over the spot frequency field I see an increment of 150 kHz using the mousewheel. In SDR UNO when you right click in the frequency display of the RX panel then you may select the frequency step by which you can change the frequency with the mousewheel when you put your mouse anywhere in the field of the SP2 window. I think it is worth to have such possibility also for the spotfrequency?
The next version will be using a system similar to that used in Uno., and has already been fixed for the next release. All frequency entry controls have been changed so that increments may be selected with a right-click of the mouse.

Reason: No reason

DL9DAK

Post by DL9DAK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm

I saw the question before in the chat but not any answer.

So here again: is the new RSPduo working with the 0.9a with a single receiver?
If not then will be the software available with RSPduo support?

Peter
Last edited by DL9DAK on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
DL9DAK | N9DAK

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 pm

I am having trouble getting Trackgen to communicate with the AD9850, I suspect that it may be pin numbering.

I have tried both the Mega and Uno software. I have reset the pins multiple times. Currently I am running on a UNO with the following pin settings: Clk- 13, UD-9, Data -10, Reset 11. I was confused by the documentation that advises "the pin numbers refer to the Arduino I/O port pin numbers and not the device physical pins." Do these numbers correspond to the header pin numbers for the digital pins on the Arduino?

I can communicate with the Trackgen software from both the SAS and from a terminal, but I get no output out of the DDS.

I have tested the AD9850 using an Arduino test program that I found on the Internet and I have confirmed that the AD9850 is working.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Don
K9AQ

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Don,

I am using the AD9851DDS boards, but for the AD9850 it is similar.
K9AQ wrote: I have tried both the Mega and Uno software. I have reset the pins multiple times. Currently I am running on a UNO with the following pin settings: Clk- 13, UD-9, Data -10, Reset 11. I was confused by the documentation that advises "the pin numbers refer to the Arduino I/O port pin numbers and not the device physical pins." Do these numbers correspond to the header pin numbers for the digital pins on the Arduino?)
If you change your DATA-line (DDS) from (UNO) pin -10 to (UNO) pin -11 and Reset from (UNO) pin -11 to (UNO) pin -10 and you download (see post of Steve at page 7) which is a special Trackgen version for the Arduino UNO, made by Steve and launch it, then the default pin settings of the Arduino UNO are as follows:
Kees_01 wrote: pin 9 : Update (FQUP)
pin 10: Reset (RST)
pin 11: Data (D7)
pin 13: Clock (W_Clk)
The output (of the DDS) should be the pin which corresponds to Sinewave-2 of the AD9850 DDS

I hope this helps

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 pm

i rewired the jumpers from the AD7850 to the Uno and reloaded the Uno software, using Xloader.

This is what I get using the Arduino terminal:

TrackGenPresent
Trackgen V1.0
R:10 D:11 C:13 U:9

I then used the SPOTF=7000000 command, which should have generated a sine wave on sinewave pin2. All I see on the scope is very low voltage noise.

I then tested the AD7859 using an Arduino DDS test sketch. I changed the pins in the sketch so that they were identical with the Trackgen UNO program. As soon as I uploaded the test sketch, I got a perfect sinewave. I checked the sinewave with both the scope and the SAS. On the SAS it was right on frequency (7 mhz) and -15db, which seems about right.

I am a very experienced Arduino programmer, so I don't think I have done anything wrong with installing the Trackgen software, and it does respond to the serial terminal commands. I don't know what else to try. Maybe Steve will have a suggestion.

Don
K9AQ

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 pm

I fat fingered my typing of the DSS, it should have read AD9850.

Don

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 am

DL9DAK wrote:I saw the question before in the chat but not any answer.

So here again: is the new RSPduo working with the 0.9a with a single receiver?
If not then will be the software available with RSPduo support?

Peter
Sorry, I thought I'd answered that. Yes, 0.9a offers limited support for the Duo. The analyser uses tuner_1, and the 50 Ohm antenna input. It is not possible to select the Hi Z antenna input, or the BC/FM or DAB filters. This is because the API used at the time did not offer full support for the Duo. The next release will allow selection of both tuner_1 or tuner_2, along with antenna and filter selection. I don't know at this point whether it will offer full dual-tuner support, allowing two instantiations of the analyser to share the same tuner. That would require me to use the new service-based API, and currently I'm using API version 2.13.1 - It would be nice to do this, but it will not be in the next release.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:28 am

K9AQ wrote:I can communicate with the Trackgen software from both the SAS and from a terminal, but I get no output out of the DDS.
When using the analyser, can you confirm that the red panel is changing to green, and if it does, that you then click the Enable button ? - Clicking Enable should send the frequency in the Spot freq box to the Uno. The Enable button turns the DDS on or off by either sending the spot frequency, or when disabling the DDS, by sending SPOTF=0. I've got a Uno running here now, and have found that sometimes I have to select the Uno's comms port a couple of times before it responds and I get a green light. My Mega responds immediately. I''ll look into that.
K9AQ wrote:i rewired the jumpers from the AD7850 to the Uno and reloaded the Uno software, using Xloader.
This is what I get using the Arduino terminal:
TrackGenPresent
Trackgen V1.0
R:10 D:11 C:13 U:9
That looks correct, and confirms that the firmware is running and responding to input.
K9AQ wrote:I then used the SPOTF=7000000 command, which should have generated a sine wave on sinewave pin2. All I see on the scope is very low voltage noise.
K9AQ wrote:I then tested the AD7859 using an Arduino DDS test sketch.
I'm at a loss to understand why the DDS is not setting a frequency when you talk to the Uno using a terminal app. I've just tried both the Mega and the Uno, and they both work, from a terminal app, or from the analyser. Out of interest, have you tried the other commands to set up a sweep ? Might be worth a try, if nothing else it will give us some more data to work with. When the Unu or Mega is first powered up, it should set the DDS to a frequency of 30Hz (that's correct, 30Hz, not a typo) without any input at all. Can you confirm if this is happening ?

All very strange, but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks Steve. I will look for a 30hz signal, and I will try running a sweep from the command line.

Don

K9AQ

Post by K9AQ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Steve,

I can not detect any signal out of the AD9850. Trackgen is communicating with either the Uno or the Mega, depending on which software has been uploaded, but it appears Trackgen isn't communicating with the AD9850. Is there any feedback from the DDS? I notice when using the frequency related commands that there is no feedback to the terminal. I was assuming that was normal.

Have you tested with the AD9850 or with a AD9851?

I am leaving for a month long camping trip next week, so I wouldn't be doing much more testing. I am thinking about ordering an AD9851 module. I would suspect that it was a defective DDS but it works perfectly with the other Arduino application.

Don
K9AQ