Feedback for version 1.0a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
sdrplay

Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by sdrplay » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:50 am

Please post your feedback to Steve regarding the 1.0a release of the spectrum analyser software in this thread

Reason: No reason

NK7Z

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by NK7Z » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:55 pm

First feedback Steve... THANK YOU!

Dan_KD9M

Post by Dan_KD9M » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Steve,
Thank you so much for all your hard work. Love the upgrades. I am running into one issue if I use 20 MHz and above it will only run the capture partial of the band width. Each time I click on the band with it will start again but only get a partial or sometimes you can see it do a scan 1.5 times and stop. I am guessing I am missing a simple setting. Any ideas? I am using the RSP1A
Last edited by Dan_KD9M on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

JJ_in_TN

Post by JJ_in_TN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I started checking every 12 hours and suddenly surprise, available for download! Thank You!

Feedback: If I change frequency by moving the cursor to the input box and typing a new frequency, then I press Enter, Windows emits the Asterisk sound. Is that intended? I would prefer that it didn't. Using tab to leave the field restores the previous frequency.

A change of Span from 1 MHz to 5MHz caused a problem with traces 1 and 2. I have Main set for Raw-White, 1 set for yellow-peak, and 2, set for blue-average. After the Span changed the yellow trace was below the blue and appeared to be averaging. Trace 2 was superimposed on trace Main and only by hiding it could I see the white Main trace. The click box for Raw and Peak were both blue (active), I assume they are supposed to be mutually exclusive? After selecting only Peak for Trace 2 (Raw became gray again) the display returned to normal. Changes to a span of 1 MHz and 2 MHz worked normally with all colors and traces perfect, but a further change to a Span of 10 MHz once again resulted in superimposed traces with Raw and Peak selected (blue) in the trace 2 selection. In this condition, clicking Raw returned that box to gray leaving only Peak selected for trace 2, but the trace was not visible. Selecting between Raw, Peak, and Avg, ending on Peak, returned trace 2 to normal operation, visible with peak mode and blue color.

JJ_in_TN

Post by JJ_in_TN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:06 pm

This software is more exciting by the minute as I try each function, but I have a question as to how the average function works in a trace.
I am consistently seeing the "Average" trace showing a lower level than the "apparent average" I see on the raw trace.
My expectation would be that the average of the trace would appear in the middle of the raw trace.
What am I misunderstanding?

Example:

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Steve can comment with authority here, but I believe that this is a video averaging function just like you get on a traditional spectrum analyser and so you would expect the noise to fall in this way.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

JJ_in_TN

Post by JJ_in_TN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Follow up: On other frequencies with different settings this effect is much less pronounced but still occurs. Looking at the raw data on the screen it appears there may be, for whatever reason, more negative excursions in my noise than positive ones which would of course skew the readings. I don't know why the effect is greater with increasing number of Sweeps either. It's a mystery to me, but I'm sure there is a rational explanation... :geek:

By the way, Windows 10 complains that the .bmp files stored by Screenshot are really PNG files with the wrong extension.

angazu

Post by angazu » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks a lot, Steve.
Great piece of software.
I plan to use it for near field measurements. Will post results in the future.

Best regardas.
ANgazu.

JJ_in_TN

Post by JJ_in_TN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you tech support, report confirmed as operator ignorance. It's been a few years.

JJ_in_TN

Post by JJ_in_TN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Thank you again, this is truly fantastic software. Here I show my return loss for a homebrew 443 MHz antenna I made in 5 min from some solid wire and a BNC connector. I am using the wide band noise generator and mini-circuits directional coupler method.