Morse code decoder?

General discussions
bubblegumpi

Morse code decoder?

Post by bubblegumpi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 pm

I hear alot of morse code and it seems too fast to decode by hand. Is there a program I can use with uno to decode it? Thats the one thing I can reliably hear day or night.

Reason: No reason

ve2cjw

Re: Morse code decoder?

Post by ve2cjw » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi. Have a look there. http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwget/
There are also other cw dcoders, just do a search on the Net.

bubblegumpi

Post by bubblegumpi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 am

ve2cjw wrote:Hi. Have a look there. http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwget/
There are also other cw dcoders, just do a search on the Net.
Thanks but I think thats more for plugging a stand alone receiver into your sound card. That one came up when I was doing a search.

Is there away to digitally pipe the output sound from the SDR into a program? I use a windows 10 tablet/laptop where I have access to only one head phone out and one USB. Like you open both programs and it hears what SDRUno is listening to.

ve2cjw

Post by ve2cjw » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:30 am

VBCABLE is what your'e looking for. There are also a couple of others that do the job.

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Yes, you need a Virtual Audio Cable program such as VBCABLE or similar. Such a program allows you to route audio from SDRuno into other programs for decoding of digital signals.

A good all-purpose decoder program for many modes (including CW I think), is called FLDIGI.

There are many examples of how to put it all together, and I think even a couple of tutorial videos on youtube.....

Have fun!
Last edited by someYguy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

avicsuk

Post by avicsuk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 am

There are several virtual cable for audio softwares available on the web such as the followings:

Virtual Audio Cable
- try-and-buy softwre (NOT freeware)
- http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

VB-Audio Virtual Cable
- Donation ware
- http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Ca ... Cables.htm

For VB-Audio Virtual Cable, it provides "VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device" and VB-CABLES A & B.
For miniumum requirement such as output audio to one third-party decoding software/hareware only, do we need to install all three cables or just the "VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device" is sufficient. Is it free and fully-functional, or functional only after donation?
What is CABLE A&B for?
Last edited by avicsuk on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

dsalomon

Post by dsalomon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 pm

A few other decoders to consider:

MRP40 - supposed to be the best under poor conditions. Not free.

MultiPSK - a multi-mode decoder. Can be free or pay. Paying gets additional modes not included in the free version. The GUI can be daunting because it's very cluttered. Once you learn it, it's no more difficult to use than any other program, it just has a slightly steeper learning curve. This is my personal preference for CW decoding. I've tried numerous CW decoding programs, and MultiPSK usually does the best job.

Re: your comment: " plugging a stand alone receiver into your sound card". Using VB-Cable or Virtual Audio Cable, you can use ANY software that requires audio input, regardless of where it expects to get it from. These virtual sound card programs make it appear to the software that the audio is coming from an input to the sound card.

Re: VB-Cable vs Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). The main difference between them is that VAC can create a virtually unlimited number of virtual cables (for the single license fee). VB-Cable is limited to 1. Additional cables are available, but they ask for additional "donations" per additional cable.

The best decoder, however, is the one between your ears. :-)