A lot of questions.

General discussions
ve2cjw

A lot of questions.

Post by ve2cjw » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Got my RSP2 yesterday and got it working. It took some time to figure out a few things but it seems to be working properly. I've got many questions but I'll start with one for this time. I learned electronic theory about 50 years ago and things were much simpler. What I have a hard time with is that LO IF or NO IF thing. What I remember from my studies is that a receiver front end is an RF amplifier followed by a mixer in which you mix the target signal with a local oscillator signal and that gives you always the same IF frequency which used to be 455 khz most of the time. After that, you have to process only the IF signal. Please explain the modern concept and how it works with that choice of two IF modes. You can be technical since I understand the math and I do have my ham license so I had to review the theory. Thanks for any ideas and other questions will follow,

Reason: No reason

Misterj

Re: A lot of questions.

Post by Misterj » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:53 pm

ve2cjw, you might look at this presentation first. Enjoy, John.

ve2cjw

Re: A lot of questions.

Post by ve2cjw » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Well. I have read this presentation a few times but it doesn't answer my question. Thanks anyway and I'll hope that someone can clarify this IF question.