Will SDR Play work to do HF Aviation Scanning?

General discussions
Xtraham

Will SDR Play work to do HF Aviation Scanning?

Post by Xtraham » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm looking to do HF Aviation monitoring and scanning of frequencies in memory. I'm used to hardware units such as an R75, which are no longer made. Will SDRPlay be able to be used for HF monitoring and scanning? I'm very unfamiliar with how the software works. Thanks for the help.
Scott
AC2FV
Last edited by Xtraham on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

VK3MHZ

Re: Will SDR Play work to do HF Aviation Scanning?

Post by VK3MHZ » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 am

I am not sure as to the 'scanning' part, check the documentation on SDRUno in respect to scanning.
Although scanning of HF frequencies doesn't really work all that well in a lot of cases, as you need the squelch above the noise level which may lead to some transmission not being received or chopped.

Other then that, SDRPlay/Uno would be great for aviation monitoring (HF), which is what I plan to use mine for.

Maybe once we both get set-up we could swap some notes?
Last edited by VK3MHZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Mon May 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi Scott,

Yes it can with the help of CSVUserlistBrowser app. You link this app to your frontend and you can define a set of frequencies in a stored list and scan them
http://www.df8ry.de/htmlen/csvub/features.htm

How to configure CSVUserlistBrowser is covered in the Cookbook
https://www.nn4f.com/SDRuno-cookbook.pdf

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Mon May 01, 2017 4:41 pm

mikexeno wrote:CSVUserlistBrowser app.
Please mind that a list browser interfacing via a serial COM port cannot replace a communication scanner. It's just meant for a rudimentary overwiev of what is present on given channels (mainly broadcast stations). Moreover SDRuno does not report valid squelch levels by CAT, neither with the Kenwood SQ; nor with the BY; command. Thus it is not possible to read the squelch status from an external application. This makes scanning even less effective.
Even if the squelch status was reported correct by CAT the two-way message queueing via the COM interface would be very slow. A scanner application should be an internal part of the SDR software, not of an external addon.

W2DLC

Post by W2DLC » Wed May 03, 2017 2:55 pm

There is a scanning plugin available for SDR# , but I don't know if SDR# is playing nice with SDRPlay anymore.

stieve23

Post by stieve23 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 am

VK3MHZ wrote:I am not sure as to the 'scanning' part, check the documentation on SDRUno in respect to scanning.
Although scanning of HF frequencies doesn't really work all that well in a lot of cases, as you need the squelch above the noise level which may lead to some transmission not being received or chopped.

Other then that, SDRPlay/Uno would be great for aviation monitoring (HF), which is what I plan to use mine for.

Hello,

The resource is currently listed in dxzone.com in 1 categories. The main category is Aeronautical radio resources that is about Radio resources for aeronautical transmission. This link is listed in our web site directory since Thursday, Mar 23, 2000, and till today "Aviation scanning information" has been followed for a total of 4613 times. So far received 7 votes for a total score of 4.86/10
Last edited by stieve23 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vipmember

Post by vipmember » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:08 am

stieve23 wrote:
VK3MHZ wrote:I am not sure as to the 'scanning' part, check the documentation on SDRUno in respect to scanning.

Hello,

The resource is currently listed in dxzone.com in 1 categories. The main category is Aeronautical radio resources that is about Radio resources for aeronautical transmission. This link is listed in our web site directory since Thursday, Mar 23, 2000, and till today "Aviation scanning information" has been followed for a total of 4613 times. So far received 7 votes for a total score of 4.86/10

Hi
Is there any reference for your resource that is currently listed in dxzone.com
Last edited by vipmember on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.