ADS-B ob RSP 1?

General discussions

ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Postby KA1OWC » Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Now I am really confused...Is it possible to receive the aviation ADS-B broadcasts on the RSP1 and the SDRuno software? I see many questions about the Raspberry Pi computers, etc...I am running the RSP-1 on a Windows 10 machine...(Can you tell I am new at this stuff?)...Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Will I need a special antenna? Any advice is most appreciated! Thanks a lot,

Steve in Kansas
Last edited by KA1OWC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Re: ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Postby Tech_Support » Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 am

Hello Steve,
SDRuno does not run on the Raspberry Pi, it is Windows only and it also does not decode ADS-B information. There is specific ADS-B software for the Raspberry Pi that is downloadable directly from our website.

SDRplay Tech_Support

Re: ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Postby DanubeBCL » Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 am

KA1OWC wrote:Will I need a special antenna?
A special antenna designed for the 1 GHz range is not a bad idea. Wideband antennas sometimes do not give strong enough signals in this frequency range. I used a simple homemade construction for my RTL dongle tests made of copper wire like this
and had good results even when placed only at my window sill inside the room. When you are interested in "high end" ADS-B you could of course buy a commercial special outdoors antenna with a low noise amplifier. But personally I think that's not worth it. ADS-B reception is interesting in the beginning, but soon you will lose motivation. Honestly said: After I saw the same airplanes every single day again and again after a couple of weeks I lost the interest.

73s, Heinrich

Return to “General”