SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface?

General discussions
tomos

SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface?

Post by tomos » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 pm

I just saw the following from sdr# regarding an update:

Better performance
Better programming API
Support of Windows 10
Support of Linux and Mac with Mono 4.0 and up
End of support of Windows XP and Vista
End of support of the ExtIO interface (not portable)

does that have an impact for the SDR play?
Last edited by tomos on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

jon

Re: SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface?

Post by jon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 pm

We are aware that the latest version of SDR# no longer supports an EXTIO file so we are taking a look at the best way to support customers who like the features of SDR#. It's disappointing that Aispy have chosen to limit the choice of hardware for SDR#, but we respect the fact that it’s their software and it is entirely their prerogative to provide support (or otherwise) for whatever hardware they want – we remain committed to supporting as many open third party software packages as possible. Jon (SDRplay marketing)
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:24 pm

To all SDRPlay users.

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR CURRENT SDR# INSTALLATION.

Save a copy of your current folder to a backup device. Re-installation is simply a matter of copying the contents of the folder to another folder. I've got five instances of SDR# running. 1 x build 1336, 1 x build 1347, 2 x build 1357, 1 x build 1361.

I'd also suggest deleting the files 'install.bat', 'httpget.exe' from the SDRSharp folder to avoid an accident.

Providing you've got all the plugins you want - also saved to a separate location - you can carry on regardless. Of note is that HDSDR hasn't been updated since Nov 2013.

SDR#'s e-mail has also given me an excellent reason not to upgrade my PC from Win 8.1 to Win 10!

Out of interest - do you know what other SDR hardware uses the ExtIO interface? - as I wonder how many other bits of kit will no longer run on SDR#.

Rgds

David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

tomos

Post by tomos » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:21 pm

I don't suppose we can post a copy of the last working version here somewhere? I went and updated prior to reading the message!
Last edited by tomos on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jon

Post by jon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am

Dear RSP users,
As most of you will now be aware, the decision to move to net framework 4.6 means that SDR sharp no longer supports the ExtIO interface used by the RSP. Whilst the authors of SDR sharp also sell a competing hardware product, we acknowledge that their software remains an excellent and highly popular SDR package for a wide range of hardware platforms and we fully respect their right to develop this software however they see fit.
The decision to move to the ExtIO interface in the first place was driven by changes made to the SDR sharp native interface without our prior knowledge which resulted in us losing some key functionality. Because SDRplay is perceived to be aimed at the same target market as the Airspy, the authors of SDR Sharp do not consider our platform to be a part of their ‘friends’ programme and so we cannot reasonably expect to get advanced warning of these changes. As a consequence, we felt that the ExtIO interface was the best way to go as it was also used by other hardware devices. However for the reasons described above, this option is no longer available to us.
As a consequence, we fully intend to continue to develop plugins to provide compatibility with the RSP and will do so by means other than the ExtIO interface. We expect to have a basic solution available very shortly with a more fully feature solution to follow in the near future.

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Tomas,

I posted a copy of the working last version on the facebook group, but I was asked to remove it within a few hours by the SDR# team as it infringed their copyright...

SO we'll just have to wait...

Paul - NN4F
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

jon

Post by jon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks Paul

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:58 pm

What other software packages, apart from HDSDR support the ExtIO interface? And do any of these give 192kHz sample audio out to drive RDSSpy?

I have posted to SDR# group asking if they would provide access to build 1361 for those who need the older version. There have been other posts from users of older versions of Windows as well and it likely that a number of these do not have an SDRPlay but are using RTL dongles or Airspy or other hardware. (I'm told Elad and Perseus don't work on the new SDR#). Fortunately I don't rush to update SDR# - and when I do it's a fresh install to a new folder. As Jon says it's excellent software - that is being actively developed - and I'm more than happy to keep at build 1361 indefinitely.

David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

w5ggh

Post by w5ggh » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:51 pm

SDRSharper still works, has a better GUI and is relatively easy to find if you Google it....info provided as FYI.....

Gary, N5XED
Last edited by w5ggh on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 am

n5xed wrote:SDRSharper still works, has a better GUI and is relatively easy to find if you Google it....info provided as FYI.....

Gary, N5XED
+1
And ,as explained in the readme files , it was especially made to support the ExtIO.DLL when it was not . :D
Last edited by F1BJB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.