SDR RX Anomalies

General discussions
ramseyrt

SDR RX Anomalies

Post by ramseyrt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Hello,

I purchased an SDRplay RSP 1 from HRO yesterday. After installing the driver software (bundled with the SDR Console installation executable) and connecting my new RSP 1, I'm seeing fluctuations in my receive signal. I've attached several pictures showing the artifacts. Any thoughts on what my be causing this?

My Configuration:
- Dell Precision T3500 running Windows 10 64Bit
- SDR Console v3.0 build 811
- SDRplay RSP 1
- 12in SMA Male to SO 239 Female cable
- 50ft RG8X Cable
- Diamond X30A 2m/70cm Antenna
- Operating out of my basement at home

I've been using an Adafruit SDR (RTL2832 w/R820T) device with the same application software and hardware configuration for the past several days without any issues. I would think both the Adafruit and SDRplay devices would be susceptible to the same types of local interference?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
USAF Academy, CO
Attachments
SDRplay_Anomaly_6.jpg
SDRplay_Anomaly_6.jpg (234.24 KiB) Viewed 13155 times
SDRplay_Anomaly_5.jpg
SDRplay_Anomaly_5.jpg (245.29 KiB) Viewed 13155 times
Last edited by ramseyrt on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
Niceville, FL

Tech_Support

Re: SDR RX Anomalies

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 am

Hello Rob,
There could be a range of possibilities that might lead to the interference issues that you are seeing. Your best bet is to open up a support ticket via: http://www.sdrplay.com/support and one of our support team will try to help you.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Rob. I haven't used SDR# for years (switched to Uno as soon as it was released), but I assume it controls the gain of the RSP2 in the same way. I wonder if there is a strong signal coming on and off the air and causing the software to 'click' the LNA/IF gain up and down? Or something similar? I hope the guys at Play can sort it out for you, as the receivers are fantastic value and work well.

Andy

ramseyrt

Post by ramseyrt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Hello,

I purchased the metal case for my RSP 1 in an attempt to block out any interference I might be experiencing. I'm having the same problem behavior with the metal case as with the plastic case.

For what it's worth, I had to sand both ends of the top and bottom metal pieces and the back of the silk screened plate to remove the paint. I've seen that others have had to do this also to ensure proper grounding throughout.

Note, that I do not have the ground lug connected to anything. I don't have a proper earth ground connection at my computer.

Any other thoughts as to why I'm seeing this behavior?

Cordially,

Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
USAF Academy, CO
Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
Niceville, FL

ramseyrt

Post by ramseyrt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 am

Hello,

Does anyone know of any diagnostics I could run on the SDRplay RSP 1? Using the half-split trouble-shooting method, when I replace the RSP 1 with an Adafruit SDR, everything looks good (cabling, connectors, antenna, and receive environment). To me, that means that something might be wrong with my RSP 1. I know that the RSP 1 and Adafruit devices are different but they perform the same function as SDRs go.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
USAF Academy, CO
Rob Ramsey
kc8kpx
Niceville, FL