Can you use the SDRPlay2 as a pan adapter?

General discussions
G0SEC

Can you use the SDRPlay2 as a pan adapter?

Post by G0SEC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Quick question from complete newbie when it comes to sdrplay..

Ok my question is simply this, can you use the SDRPLAY2 as a pan adapter and if so any issues with front end pick up
or overloading issues, I have a kenwood ts870 in the process of finding a pan adapter for it and wondered if the sdrplay2
will do the job..

any answers from more experienced peeps greatly appreciated.

James
G0SEC
Last edited by G0SEC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

vk3alb

Re: Can you use the SDRPlay2 as a pan adapter?

Post by vk3alb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 am

Hi James,

The answer is yes. Just remember 0dBm max at the input of the RSP. I'm not familiar with the TS-870 but I imagine at worst you could tap off some of the IF or use an external antenna switch. There is plenty of info in this group. I did a search for Panadapter and got 132 hits.

search.php?keywords=panadapter

Lou
VK3ALB

hfsdpk11

Post by hfsdpk11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm using an RSP2Pro as a panadapter on my TS-850. Simply connect it to the "IF OUT" RCA jack on the rear panel. I don't know the details of the TX mixer string in the 870, but the 850 string has inverted spectrum in the 8.83 MHz IF. It's not a great drama, you just have to remember that signals below CF displayed by the RSP are actually above CF at RF, and that on SSB the demodulation sense is inverted, e.g. USB will be heard correctly with the RSP set to LSB. The cool thing about the TS-850 IF OUT tap point is that it mutes the RX when the transceiver is transmitting so there's no chance of burning the RSP. It's interesting to see that the IF OUT noise floor is far from being flat, rather that its level varies irregularly by at least 10 dB. over a 500 kHz. span.

Hugo
ve3ktn

N7XRD

Post by N7XRD » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Question about hooking to Kenwood. They say the best port is the High Z port for HF can this be used to hook to the Kenwood or do you have to use port A or B ? I'm running a TS-590SG using the DRV port.
Thank you.
Last edited by N7XRD on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

hfsdpk11

Post by hfsdpk11 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't know the TS590 but according to the user manual, the DRV port can be configured as an output (DRO) of the 590 TX to drive an external linear amplifier, or as a split of the RX received at the ANTx ports. The assumption here is that you've configured your radio with the DRV port as a split of the ANT RX.

In that case, your SDR will be simply a second receiver of the antenna connected to your 590. I suppose that can be considered as a panadapter but it's more properly an independent wideband receiver operating in parallel to your 590. In a strict interpretation of "panadapter", the device connects to the radio on the IF side of the RX VFO mixing stage, thus the centre frequency of the panadapter is always tuned to the equivalent of the radio's centre frequency. The panadapter display shows your radio's RX at centre frequency +/- signals that appear to ether side, thus giving the op a view of the desired signal, interfering signals, and other signals (or open freq opportunities) near CF.

It appears that the 590SG does not have an IF output on the rear panel, like the 8.83 MHz. IF tap point (IF OUT) on my TS-850SAT. In your case, you will have to tune the SDRPlay centre freq to where your 590 is tuned, i.e. two independent actions, unlike me where I can leave my SDRPlay tuned to 8.83 MHz. and only need to tune the TS-850. Of course, I think you could get around this by using the OmniRig link or similar features of SDRUno (or other SDR SW) and use the software as master control, instead of working your 590 directly.

As to whether the Hi-Z port is better than AntA/B, I don't think it much matters if your operation is going to be 1 MHz. or higher.

N7XRD

Post by N7XRD » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you for the reply I did in fact hook it to the rig yesterday and it does center with the radio Omnirig i can tune with the radio or SDRuno and all works great!!
Last edited by N7XRD on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Gbujold

Post by Gbujold » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 pm

hfsdpk11 wrote:I'm using an RSP2Pro as a panadapter on my TS-850. Simply connect it to the "IF OUT" RCA jack on the rear panel. I don't know the details of the TX mixer string in the 870, but the 850 string has inverted spectrum in the 8.83 MHz IF. It's not a great drama, you just have to remember that signals below CF displayed by the RSP are actually above CF at RF, and that on SSB the demodulation sense is inverted, e.g. USB will be heard correctly with the RSP set to LSB. The cool thing about the TS-850 IF OUT tap point is that it mutes the RX when the transceiver is transmitting so there's no chance of burning the RSP. It's interesting to see that the IF OUT noise floor is far from being flat, rather that it's level varies irregularly by at least 10 dB. over a 500 kHz. span.

Hugo
ve3ktn
Hugo,

I also have a RSPPro2 and looking at how to connect it to my TS-850S. I have it connected via the IF out connector, but the SDRuno simply is not allowing me to see what I need to. I have the latest Dec/2017 version of SDRuno and I am unable to get it to display the band from my TS-850S. Could you list out how you connected it and what the parameters are from SDRuno?

Thank you
Last edited by Gbujold on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:16 am

hfsdpk11 wrote:I don't know the details of the TX mixer string in the 870, but the 850 string has inverted spectrum in the 8.83 MHz IF. It's not a great drama, you just have to remember that signals below CF displayed by the RSP are actually above CF at RF, and that on SSB the demodulation sense is inverted, e.g. USB will be heard correctly with the RSP set to LSB
I don't know what program you are using, but look for a setting like "Swap I/Q" or similar. Enabling this swaps the spectrum so in your case you get the correct spectrum.

hfsdpk11

Post by hfsdpk11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:05 pm

To Gbujold:

Connect RSP2 port A or B via a short coax directly to the TS850 rear panel RCA socket "IF OUT 1".

Taking into account the recommendation from DK7OB to swap I/Q channels (thanks for that), set SDRUno:

Main window
OPT - Swap I/Q = enabled
Sample rate = 2 MHz.
Decimation = 8 (this combination of SR/DEC gives best resolution for panadaper purposes IMO, you can change it to suit yourself)
RF gain set at mid-range
Conversion mode = Zero-IF

Tune LO = 8832.000 kHz.
Tune VFO = 8835.500 kHz.
Spectrum span = 125 kHz., res BW as desired.

Leave the VFO tuned to 8835.5 kHz. and tune your TS850 normally with its front panel controls. The centre frequency will always be at 8835.5 kHz. so you don't need to fiddle with SDRUno unless you want to check other signals within the VFO instantaneous BW without changing the TS850 freq (e.g. checking for a clear spot to QSO).

I've chosen the above LO and VFO frequencies to keep the LO residual carrier out of the SSB signal passband. You can adjust them to suit how you prefer it. The above LO/VFO pair is for LSB reception. You will have to re-tune the VFO upward slightly when selecting USB (I think - I have't checked this).

Hugo
ve3ktn