Antenna Ports A & B Reversed

General discussions
ilektranik

Antenna Ports A & B Reversed

Post by ilektranik » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 am

It appears that on my RSP2Pro antenna ports A & B are reversed.

With a discone antenna attached to port Port A and Port A selected at 105.9 FM Broadcast frequency the signal is -102.7 dBm and noisy. Select Port B in software with the antenna still on Port A and the signal is -62.9 dBm with full quieting.

The Bias-T voltage appears on Port A.

What gives?
Last edited by ilektranik on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: Antenna Ports A & B Reversed

Post by Tech_Support » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 am

Hello ilektranik,
On the RSP2/RSP2pro the SMA connectors on ports A and B are connected to the PCB via a short 'pigtail' cable. On a small number of devices, an operator error in manufacture lead to these connectors being assembled into the wrong holes. We managed to intercept the majority of devices that had been incorrectly assembled, but a small number had already gone out. Unfortunately, you have received one of those devices and we are extremely sorry about that.
Your options going forward are to:
1. Return your device from where you purchased it for a refund or exchange
2. We can arrange to have your device returned to us so that we can swap the cables around and return the device to you
3. You can remove the rubber feet, open up the case and swap the SMA cables over (it takes less than 5 mins and we will honour your full warranty no matter what happens)

If you decide the go with option 2, please open up a support ticket (via www.sdrplay.com/support) and we will arrange to get your device back to us.

Please accept our apologies for this problem.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

ilektranik

Post by ilektranik » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Tried that already. Site would not accept my newly obtained credentials so my long missive with screenshots is no where to be found.

I have other issues, to wit:

a.) Large swaths of spectrum have no RX at all. Nada. Will not hear what my Icom IC-756Pro III will easily. Like WWV on 5 or 10 mHz. I have good FM Broadcast, local WX stations and an occasional plane overhead. All 88 to 165 mHz. Nothing else. My friend 50 miles away bought an RSP2Pro days after I did and he has international shortwave and Ham Band activity galore on a homemade UHF ground plane. I have a D3000N at 30' and an OCF dipole at 50'.

b.) On several frequency ranges, there is no RX but 100 kHz spaced pips for many mHz. Like a marker generator is running.

c.) If manufacturing screwed the antenna connections up, what else did they not get right? What else did quality control miss?

Screenshots attached. Well, not so much. All approx 1 mB screenshots too large to be attached here.

bad, bad experience.
Last edited by ilektranik on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm

You can use https://imgur.com/ .Upload the images you have and post the links created from imgur into this thread.

IQbert

Post by IQbert » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:13 pm

All of these symptoms seem to point to your IF gain being too high.
Have you tried to take your RSP to your friend's house and look at it working on his computer?
Or have his on your computer?

Take your time and play with the settings.
Go through the manual page by page.

This is an excellent device. Have fun!
Last edited by IQbert on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.