Kenwood TS-590S & SDRPlay

General discussions
Sunking

Kenwood TS-590S & SDRPlay

Post by Sunking » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm

OK I have read a few threads here and know basically how to interface the two together. But what I have not seen anything that addresses my concerns. The radio has a 100 Watt transmitter and I am concerned when I transmit I could overload the SDRPlay front end. Is that a real concern or not.

If it is I will need to come up with some sort of relay/switch to short out the SDR when I key the mic. All comments welcome.
Last edited by Sunking on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Roger

Re: Kenwood TS-590S & SDRPlay

Post by Roger » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 am

There are several ways to use your TS-590S and an SDRplay. This document gives you an overview... https://www.sdrplay.com/wp-content/uplo ... rGuide.pdf

If you search this Community forum you will see lots of discussion on this topic. You will find many more posts on this topic on the two Facebook groups - SDRplay and SDRuno. There are also videos on using two different switches with SDRplay on the SDRplay Youtube channel.

Sunking

Re: Kenwood TS-590S & SDRPlay

Post by Sunking » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Roger wrote:There are several ways to use your TS-590S and an SDRplay. This document gives you an overview... https://www.sdrplay.com/wp-content/uplo ... rGuide.pdf
Well what a pleasant surprise. I clicked the link and read the document and found another link in the document going to a YouTube video recorded at Ham Radio Outlet in Plano TX. Just so happens I live in Sherman TX and shop at that HRO and know Eddy who is in the video.

I have the Kenwood TS-590S not the SG model and unfortunately the DRV port on the S model doe snot output RX. That was an upgrade on the SG model. However I think I have a decent work around in mind. My thought is to use the SDRPlay RSP2 with a Long Wire antenna. To protect the RSP2 use a simple relay to short the the RSP2 input to ground during transmit. My thought is to work the Relay with NC contacts to make it Fail Safe so when turned off or a failure in the radio the input to the RSP2 is shorted out to ground.

:?: So my next question would be: Is there any problem shorting the RSP2 High Z input to Ground?
Last edited by Sunking on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.