Rsp2 -android

General discussions
Mariushess

Rsp2 -android

Post by Mariushess » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:05 pm

I would like to know if this device will ever work on android. Why is it not clear specify that rsp2 does not run with android, although in the "downloads" section there is a SDR driver incompatible with rsp2?
The Android tablet is much more portable and more comfortable than the laptop and also, the tablet has 6 hours of energy...
Last edited by Mariushess on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

WeakSingal3o3

Re: Rsp2 -android

Post by WeakSingal3o3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Ive gotten it to work on a Galaxy S8, it required me restarting the SDRTouch app and trying to "power" on the sdrplay via the app. It is buggy and crashes often, at least it did for myself. I tried running it on a tablet i had laying around as well but its too old and not powerful enough for it.

Its likely just the plugin/EXTIO that needs some tweaking and work. Keep in mind SDRPlay is a small team and theyre working constantly to improve and add features. Hopefully at some point they will have some time to update and work on this project as well. I agree, lugging a laptop around gets old and battery life sucks, but keep in mind, unless you're powering the rsp2 externally, you're still drawing from the phone/tablet's power so your battery life wont be as long with it connected as it would without, obviously.

Just figured id chime in with my 2 cents since i too have experienced some issues with Android.
73!

AB9UU

Post by AB9UU » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes, disappointing. I just got a RSP2 and bought a cheap Android tablet but SDRTouch crashes all the time. The SDRPlay site needs to warn you of this more explicitly. Runs on the PC great. I wanted a small android tablet to only see the band scope for the car while using my Kenwood TS 480 HX and did not need all the other functions though do play with them occasionally. There are few cheap PC tablets (8 inches) with enough horse power to run SDRuno apparently so I had hoped a small Android would fit the bill.

If anyone knows for sure if SDRUno would run on a cheap small Windows 10 tablet like I see on Amazon from Nuvision and the like having 2 to 4gb RAM and Atom Quad-Cores, I would greatly appreciate it. I have some high powered PC tablets NASA could probably use but they take up too much real estate in the car. Like I said, I only want the band scope anyway to compliment my Kenwood.
:x
Last edited by AB9UU on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Battery power is not really an issue. You can get a modified USB cable (or easily build one) and supplement the power on the USB bus with a small & cheap portable / rechargeable 5 V unit. In this way both the tablet and the RSP2 would last much longer.

The real issue here is the RSP2 / Android existing interface driver & software which leaves much to be desired.