What *nix distro ? To build an SdR box

General discussions
NeilP

What *nix distro ? To build an SdR box

Post by NeilP » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

OK, so rather than get a Pi ( OK, yes they are cheap) I was thinking of dropping a Linux distro on to one of many old Windows boxes I have kicking around here.

So any recommendations for a *nix distro that is 'ready to go' ?

Reason: No reason

vk7jj

Re: What *nix distro ? To build an SdR box

Post by vk7jj » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 pm

I resurrected a little HP Stream 11 inch laptop the other day.

It came with Windows 8, migrated to 10, then Microsoft turned it into a brick by forced updates.

It's now 200 times faster than when it was born and the totally Windows-jammed 32GB SSD now has 27GB of free space.

Xubuntu was a good fit for it, being a) leaner than Ubuntu and b) still able to run with the Ubuntu drivers etc which were a worry for that machine.

HTH

Phil

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks Phil

Yes, I have used the various *buntu versions so do know them

Was more wondering if there was a specific SDRPlay distro available, in the saw way as there is the Pi image, wonders if anyone did a ready to go *nix iso for SDR tuff.

i checked DistroWatch but found nothing sot thought I'd post here.

I do have my audio server running here 24/7...a box built with a NAS4Free distro, based of FreeBSD

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:10 am

Look here:

https://skywavelinux.com/

Skywave Linux is a version of Ubuntu with all needed radio things preinstalled. I've tried it and it works okay and of course you can tweak it to your liking.

But,

IMHO the various SDR programs for Linux, Mac, Android, etc. all have a long way to go before they are as good as their Windows cousins in terms of GUI, features, overall feel, and performance. Best I've found is an older computer - in my case a Dell Optiplex 330 - loaded with Windows 7 (No win 10 for me, ever.) running everything just great.....

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:08 am

I’ll try it thanks. (Edit .... just seen it is 64bit) :(. Wonder if an 06 Mac Pro 1,2 can be got to boot linux... Not had a supply of used old computers since the local ‘dump’ stopped allowing re use of old computers

Win 7 ummm, never got above XP. Will need to look for some cracked Win7 installation media I suppose.

Last windows I bought was a Sony Vaio in 2004.
Previous to that was a Pentium 2 266Mhz backnin about 1992.

Moved to a Mac Pro 1,3 Tower Twin Processor machine in 08, and still using it,

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm

NeilP wrote:I’ll try it thanks.

Win 7 ummm, never got above XP. Will need to look for some cracked Win7 installation media I suppose.

Last windows I bought was a Sony Vaio in 2004.
Previous to that was a Pentium 2 266Mhz backnin about 1992.

Moved to a Mac Pro 1,3 Tower Twin Processor machine in 08, and still using it,

Sorry about that I forgot that Skywave is 64 bit. My above mentioned old Dell just has a stripped down copy of Win 7 32bit with nothing installed which isn't needed for the radio. I bought a legitimate Win 7 license key for $5.00 on eBay so the whole thing was very cheap and easy.

Regarding SDR software, all of the Windows programs work well on this machine and of course each has its ups & downs but they all do demodulation very well. I also connected & configured FLDIGI for digital modes and it works fine.

I do like & use Ubuntu 16.04 on another computer and find it to be wonderful in so many ways but for this Windows was - for me anyway - far less hassle and (I think) superior SDR software for now anyway :).

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:38 am

I have shelved this as a project for now.

Not really possible to do what I was wanting yet. Was looking for a one box solution, but for less than £4000.