Broadcast Stations overloading front end

General discussions
mm0njc

Broadcast Stations overloading front end

Post by mm0njc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Hello, I have just purchased a RSP2Pro set it up but in it's current state it is pretty much completely unusable for me. I have images of 2 different LW broadcast stations over all of the 20, 30, 40, 60 and 80m bands. They vary in strength but the 40 and 80m ones are the worse, so bad in fact that I can literally not hear a single amateur station anywhere on 80m.

I listened for a while until I could hear which stations were causing the problems and looked up where the transmitters were. They are both 100kW and co-located at the same site which is 25km from me. There is a further site for one of the same stations 75km away which is radiating 0.5kW, but I imagine that not the guilty culprit in this case.

Has anyone got any ideas of any setting that may be able to help me with some rejection?
Last edited by mm0njc on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

NK7Z

Re: Broadcast Stations overloading front end

Post by NK7Z » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I live about 3 miles from a 50 KW AM station, used to cause issues with my RSP-1, bought a BCB filter off ebay, the little black ones, and had no more issues...

I have several spectrograms of the entire 80 meter, 40 Meter, 30 Meter, etc., bands shown in an article on using an SDR to inventory the RFI environment you can see here:

https://www.nk7z.net/sdr-rfi-survey-p1/

All of my BCB RFI has ended with the addition of that filter.

Reason: No reason