Need Help

General discussions
W6MKO

Need Help

Post by W6MKO » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 am

Hello,
I recently received the SDRplay rspPro2 and I can't get it to connect to anything and it is extremly frustrating. I did a lot of research before buying it and followed all of the youtube videos and the manual(s) to get it to connect with my equipment. I'm using a Yaesu FTdx-1200, Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD), MFJ-1708SDR, SDRuno and Omni Rig (per the instructions). I also downloaded and paid for VSPE comm port emulator. I use HRD for all of my rig control, logging and digital. I'm trying to get all of them synced and working together but nothing works. I had better luck with my SDR RTL dongle. If anyone can help solve my issues it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ham Radio Deluxe loses connection to the comm port 11 and stops after several minutes.
2. If Omni Rig or HRD is running first, I get an error message that the comm port is already in use.
3. Omni Rig won't connect to HRD or vice versa.
4. If I try to connect just to SDRuno from HRD, the freq doesn't show up in HRD and it will eventually freeze and crash, losing the connection to the comm port.
5. no matter what freq i'm on, i get faint radio voices in the background.

Again, I conntacted support and watched the video links they sent and re-read all of the manual and all of the PDF's pertaining to these issues but it is still not connecting properly or syncing. Hopefully, someone can help me and has run into these same issue or has far more skills in this area than I do.

Thank You in advance.

Scott
W6MKO
Last edited by W6MKO on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

RSP2user

Re: Need Help

Post by RSP2user » Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 am

Scott,

I took a look at the manuals for all of the equipment you mentioned that you wish to connect. Here are some considerations based on your description:

1. Ham Radio Deluxe loses connection to the comm port 11 and stops after several minutes.

* Based on the manual, the com port portion of Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) appears to have been written in 2006. In 2006, com ports 1 through 4 were in common use and ports 5 through 8 were an extension. You may want to keep your com port usage on ports 1 through 4 where possible and not use com ports greater than 8. If using com ports between 1 and 8 only and you still have issues, then consider running HRD in compatibility mode for Windows 8 operation. I am assuming you are using a newer OS such as Windows 10.

2. If Omni Rig or HRD is running first, I get an error message that the comm port is already in use.

* I am assuming you are receiving the error message from SDRuno. Yes, if the com port is in use between two other devices or applications, a third device or application will show the com port as being in use. Think of the com port usage as a cable between a serial data terminal transmitting (DTE) and receiving device (DCE). Placing two serial port DTE devices on the same port with a DCE device will cause a conflict. You will need to decide what functionality you want and how you want to control SDRuno (acting as the DCE). While you can create a "T" (VSPE splitter) configuration for the com port using VSPE, the intent is for two DCE serial devices connected to one DTE serial port device, each DCE using non-conflicting command sets.

3. Omni Rig won't connect to HRD or vice versa.

* This may simply be a flow control or baud rate issue. You might try changing the flow control configuration and baud rate. This also sounds like you may be connecting the equivalent of two DTE serial devices and trying to get them to talk to each other. If this is the case, you may need to use VSPE between them to connect the transmit serial path from one to the receive serial path of the other.

4. If I try to connect just to SDRuno from HRD, the freq doesn't show up in HRD and it will eventually freeze and crash, losing the connection to the comm port.

* Be sure you are using the Kenwood command set compatibility on HRD. If HRD offers more than one Kenwood compatible receiver option, you might try selecting a different Kenwood compatible commend set. SDRuno maintains compatibility with the Kenwood command set, but may not have all functionality based on the Kenwood compatibility selected (some applications have more than one Kenwood compatible command set available). If you need to do some testing to see what is being sent on the serial port path, you can monitor the serial port path using RealTerm and send commands to verify what HRD should be displaying based on commands sent. HRD will allow for macro creation, if you need to translate commands yourself between SDRuno and HRD to achieve full operation. If HRD keeps crashing, this may be an indication of a compatibility problem with a newer OS. You might also try running HRD in Windows 8 compatibility mode under the newer Windows OS (e.g., Windows 10).

5. no matter what freq i'm on, i get faint radio voices in the background.

* Check that grounds coming from each piece of connected equipment are separately running to the same central common ground point. Ground connections should not be looped from one device to another. What equipment are you hearing this from? The FTdx1200 or the RSP2pro?

Reason: No reason