RF "surges"

General discussions
Paul

RF "surges"

Post by Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 am

I'm quite sure that many with a better understnading of HF radio than myself (probably the majority), will know the answer to this query.
I would like to understand what is going on (this is not a new obsevation for me).
Using an RSP2 with either a simple end-fed long-wire, active mini-whip or Wellbrook 1530LN (all currently selectable via 50 ohm Port A - alevel playing field I hope), I find that I experience intermittent surges on HF unless I reduce gain to a very low level (the gain control is set to attenuation).
This is particularly true of the Wellbrook.
I imagine that the incoming signal strength is overoading sommehow, but would appreciate any alternative explanation.

Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: RF "surges"

Post by g1hbe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:56 am

This is probably due to a strong signal (not necessarily showing in the displayed b/w) coming on and off and causing the AGC to act. It may help to read the following document:

https://www.sdrplay.com/wp-content/uplo ... SDRuno.pdf

Andy

NK7Z

Post by NK7Z » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:39 pm

I am using HDSDR, and had the same issue. I killed the AGC, and added an attenuator on the input of the RSP-1. I try and keep the input levels reasonable to the radio using the attenuator. I also keep the system gain as low as I can for whatever I am doing at the time. I further added an AM broadcast band filter to mine, and it helped a lot. I live 2 miles from a 50KW AM station. The RSP-1 works like a champ even in that environment-- once things became under control.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, which I have little doubt are "on the money."
For the record, I am using SDRuno V1.23 and "best" attenuation settings, which generally work - it was the cause/source that I was interested in.