RSP1 and Linux, newbie alert::>

General discussions
W1ABA

RSP1 and Linux, newbie alert::>

Post by W1ABA » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the group, after a rather disappointing intro to sdr experience with the RTL-SDR.

I'm looking forward to having an RSP1 soon, the RSP1 seems like a good solid unit with the performance I need.

I will likely do my own front end filtering, as my application is somewhat demanding. Are the details of the rf input available (such as chip type of the tuner and the input circuit between the chip and the antenna circuit?

And, is the RSP1 capable of running in Linux, if so, what are my options for software? And, my punchbox is old (second generation I5 processor), if I don't need the full 10 MHz bandwidth for the waterfall, can I run at a lower bandwidth in order to run the software successfully?

TIA
Last edited by W1ABA on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

OH2BUA

Re: RSP1 and Linux, newbie alert::>

Post by OH2BUA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 am

Hi fellow,

instead of (discontinued) RSP1, i recommend you to consider RSP1A instead. It offers 14-bit decoding and better front-end filtering.

AFAIK, Linux support for both is equal.

You can find block-diagrams for the RSPs, but not detailed schematics. They seem to be shy in sharing them... for obvious reasons.

I'm sure you will find going from RTL-SDR to RSP for being a serious step-up.

73, Jukka

W1ABA

Post by W1ABA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Jukka,

Yes, I will get the PSP1A.

I am hoping to receive Aircraft Band DX. When DX in the Aircraft Band is detected, it should be a very good indicator that e-skip is possible on the 2 meter band.

So, obviously I need good sensitivity in the rx.

I'm familiar with industrial theft of intellectual property by some countries in Asia, so I do understand why the schematic isn't released. However, the same companies that don't release schematics think nothing of having the IC's made in Asia because the price is cheaper. When an Asian semiconductor manufacturer agrees to produce the IC's, they they must be given all the data needed to make the chips. So, the chips are made for the contractor, and he's happy! BUT....the Asian chip maker makes additional chips for their own use!!!

This is why we see $8 RTL-SDR receivers on ebay. And the Hackrf one clones can be bought for $140 each, but the genuine units sell for $280. Obviously, the OEM (legitimate) has to recover design and development costs, so the Asian entity selling the same units for half price makes a lot of money because they don't need to recover design and development costs...because they STOLE the design.

Regards,

Art

W1ABA

Post by W1ABA » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 am

Well, the RSP1A came in the mail today!!! HRO did a great job filling the order and even arranged to have the unit shipped from their (more) local store!

But, no joy as far as making it run under Linux 16.04.

The driver installed ok. But the unit won't run for a variety of reasons....

I'll post the details in this forum, I hope someone can help!

Regards,

W1A BA

bobmounger

Post by bobmounger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I just went through this. The trick was to follow the non-windows workflow, Use the SDRPlay version of CubicSDR that is linked in the workflow.

AND

wget https://www.sdrplay.com/software/SDRpla ... 2.11.1.run
chmod 755 ./SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.11.1.run
./SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.11.1.run

roll back to the older version of the API

AF5UP
Last edited by bobmounger on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.