My Replacement For A New ICOM 7300

General discussions
n3hkn

My Replacement For A New ICOM 7300

Post by n3hkn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm

I have been agonizing about getting an Icom 7300. I have used lots of SDR stuff for a few years. But ending up with an FT-450D Yaesu. It is ok but certainly not an SDR. I bought the RSP1A just to see how the latest SDR stuff was working before I lost $1000 in the 7300 rush.

I have my FT-450D computer controlled and connected to an attic dipole for 40m and 20m. The little RSP1A is connected to an amplified loop on my deck about 12ft from the ground on a painter's pole. The amplified loop has an auto switch to go to the transmit antenna when PTT is activated on the 450D. This protects the loop's amplifier from RF. Using DXLab Warbler I can run PSK31 in what I believe is a receive environment that is similar to the 7300. With UNO there is probably better control of the receive environment than is available on the 7300. Actual receive performance versus the 7300 is strictly a weak subjective rationalization. However, it SEEMS to be on a par with the 7300. If anyone has seen a comparison test it would be interesting.

Well, either through self-delusion, or reality, I have a very effective "transceiver". To look at another aspect of the combination I shrunk the UNO spectrum to its minimum. It still was useful. BUT, when I got out the ruler and measured a 4.3inch diagonal (7300 crt) I was shocked to see how small it would be when compared to the minimized UNO screen. YUK....

I can see no reason, at this time, to spend almost $1000 for a 7300 when a $100 RSP1A and a $500 FT-450D are probably performing as well, or better than a 7300 on the receive (the important) side. ;)

Reason: No reason