CubiSDR on RPi 3 can't see SDR device

General discussions
robnotbot

CubiSDR on RPi 3 can't see SDR device

Post by robnotbot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:12 am

Hi All,

I've installed and verified the SDR Dongle (NooElec NESDR SMArt). The Rpi 3 can see it, fine.

I am trying to use SDRPlay CubicSDR. When I open 'SDR Devices' no detected SDR devices are listed.

I try to add it manually, but I am not sure of the IP address. Is it the same as the RPi? Or does the USB dongle have its own IP address.
If the latter, how do I find out what the IP address is of that SDR device (linux command).

Thanks all.
Last edited by robnotbot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

fventuri

Re: CubiSDR on RPi 3 can't see SDR device

Post by fventuri » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Rob,
can you run this Linux command and see what it returns?

Code: Select all

lsusb -v -d 1df7:
if the first non-empty line is something like this (your numbers will probably be different):

Code: Select all

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1df7:3010
then your USB bus address is 003:004.

If you don't get anything back, then it means your Raspberry Pi can't see the RSP for some reason (or perhaps your kernel is loading a Mirics msi2500 kernel module and preventing 'lsusb' from seeing it).

Hope this help,
Franco

robnotbot

Post by robnotbot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Franco,

When I run that exact command, there is no output.

However when I run 'lsusb' I see 5 lines of output including:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T
Last edited by robnotbot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

fventuri

Post by fventuri » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:11 am

Rob,
if the command I gave you shows no output, it probably means that Linux running on your Raspberry Pi can't see the RSP for some reason (and of course all the Linux applications running on top of Linux can't either).

This could be due to either software or hardware problem.

To rule out that is a software problem, I would suggest you to download the latest Raspberry Pi image from SDRPlay and try to run it, if you already aren't running that (from your original post I can't tell); the detailed instructions are here: https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=6&t=3134; again, once it boots up, log in and try the same 'lsusb' command I showed you earlier.

If even with the SDRPlay image Linux can't see it, it is probably something with the hardware; first i would try to see if you can see the RSP from a different computer (perhaps a desktop or a laptop). If you can see it from a different computer, it could be that the Raspberry Pi is not providing enough current via the USB port to the RSP - in that case you may want to try changing the power supply for the Raspberry Pi.

Let me know how it goes.

Franco