HDSDR download from SDRPlay won't run

General discussions
K0RWM

HDSDR download from SDRPlay won't run

Post by K0RWM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi,

I have been a long time user of HDSDR back to when it was in beta test and using RFSpace SDRIQ and cat controls on a FT-950, at least 6 years ago.

The HDSDR download for Windows 7 from SDRPlay does not work. Removed the program and subdirectory for HDSDR and reloaded about three times.

I had success with the SDRPlay RSP2 by going to the HDSDR site and downloading the program. Then going to the subdirectory where the SDRPlay drivers were loaded.

Before I got HDSDR to work, the complete download from SDRPlay site for HDSDR would open, S meter showed RF squelched, no manual settings worked for squelch, checked for the correct RSP2 driver, no reception then computer locked up.

Finally went to the HDSDR site downloaded HDSDR. Opened HDSDR from the new folder, then went to the folder with the latest SDRPLay drivers and program working perfect.

My thought is something is flawed on the HDSDR program downloaded from SDRPlay site. Drivers are fine.

Dave
K0RWM
Last edited by K0RWM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

K0RWM

Re: HDSDR download from SDRPlay won't run

Post by K0RWM » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 pm

I did some searching and found a suggestion. I tried it and it seems to have solved the HDSDR problems.

It said before running HDSDR, run the following:

reg delete HKCU\Software\SDRplay\Settings /f

Comments?

Dave
K0RWM

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:55 am

That sounds like it deletes the Win registry entries for SDRPlay settings. I've never used the HDSDR download from SDRPlay because I don't want the whole thing every time and be forced to run the driver installer etc. each time if I just want the latest HDSDR.

My method has always been to first download the driver (only) from the SDRPlay site or use an older driver if it works well enough. Next, download the appropriate EXTIO plugins. Then install the driver if needed and then extract the plugins. I then go and get HDSDR from its own website, install, and manually copy the needed EXTIO file into the HDSDR directory and away I go. But of course not everybody knows and understands how to do these things and so the SDRPlay package automates all of it.

I've never had to delete the registry entries to make things work but I'm glad to see an easy way to do it if needed.....

K0RWM

Post by K0RWM » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:42 pm

WINDOWS 7 Automatic UPGRADE is what I am now blaming. I had another Windows 7 update since the posting about mid January and ALL programs (HDSDR, SDRConsole) are working letter perfect. i was struggling cleaning registry, running new downloads etc. SDRPlay Uno program did work through it all.

Now everything is perfect, just a like a switch was flipped.

After running Malware Bytes I had some no critical Yahoo tracking cookies found and cleaned. If not Windows 7 fix from Microsoft, it was one of those cookies.

All is good now.

I do have a recommendation. I have a RF Attenuator RA-1728A by Tronson Decade Box I purchased from a Chinese man on Ebay. It has 8 toggle switches with settings of -1, -2, -3, -6 -10, -20, -20, -20 dB.

When listening to AM Broadcast and HF switching in -20, or -30 dB works like magic in dropping out all kinds of spurs, etc.

A RFSpace SDR-IQ I have been using for about 4 years, has relays on their board with 10 dB resistor pads which can be switched. I always ran about 10 or 20 dB, which greatly helped in eliminating front overload. I was surprised how about 20 dB attenuation cleaned up things.

The RFSpace SDR-IQ with built in hardware switched attenuators is which led me to the RF Decade box. Its in line all the time with a Pixel Loop feeding the SDRPlay. The built in MW/FM notch filter is always turned on when not listening to broadcast.

Dave
K0RWM