Recent SDR problems after windows 10 64 bit update.

General discussions
crite40

Recent SDR problems after windows 10 64 bit update.

Post by crite40 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:07 pm

Good day all!
I have been using SDR software for over 2 years now and have found it very good indeed.
In fact I published a design for an improved Receiver for SDR use in June 2014 in Silicon Chip
magazine.
Very recently another automatic update was installed on my computer and SDR# will no longer run.
I get the following cryptic message-
The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.
2 approaches are suggested but neither is of any help.
In fact the command line sxtrace.exe is simply not recognised, in command mode.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
I am an "old timer", but have been working with computers for over 50 years.
Even my son, who is a fully fledged computer software engineer hasn't come across this
problem before.
I have tried reinstalling and updating Visual C++ and all the other online suggestions
with no success at all. BTW, YES of course I have tried running both versions of Zadig
also.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Crite40
Last edited by crite40 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

K4KDR

Re: Recent SDR problems after windows 10 64 bit update.

Post by K4KDR » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:17 am

Greetings!

Like you, I've been doing this for a long time. So, I thought I would chime in with a couple of general things to consider from experience.

While it sounds obvious, sometimes I forget to check the Event Viewer logs. Once in a blue moon you can actually find something helpful in there... or at least get a hint that makes you think of something you have not looked at.

The other thing that I do with all of these recreational apps is NOT to install them in the \Program Files folder. Ever since Windows tightened security on who can write to those folders, there are numerous cases of hobby software failing or not working 100% correctly because to keep things simple, the author just writes logs & configuration files to the same folder that the executable runs out of. So, for this reason I created an "apps" folder under my profile directory where I install all of the various radio and other hobby software.

Just wanted to reply on the outside chance that I might help directly or even indirectly by having you look at something you had not thought of yet.

Good luck!

-Scott, K4KDR
Montpelier, VA USA
Last edited by K4KDR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason