SDR inside a laptop

General discussions
bewarethestare

SDR inside a laptop

Post by bewarethestare » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 am

I'm looking to build a laptop with an SDR inside it for my next project. The idea would be having a pretty basic laptop but with enough processing power for spectrum analysis and decoding using open source SDR programs, such as DSD+. The laptop would have ports for coax connectors, BNC most likely, USB, etc. The laptop would be using a tough book case similar to the panasonic CF series (it has to to be pretty durable and rugged)and all computer and SDR components would be internal. Since this is in the earliest stages as it could be my questions to you all are

1. Is there anything like this now?(if there is i still want to build one but a baseline or goal would be nice)
2. What computer components should i use(name anything from mother board to power supply, i want it all) and why?
3. What SDR components and why?
4. Any input, suggestions, or questions(this project wounldn't be fun or as good as it could be without a few more brains)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by bewarethestare on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sinnet

Re: SDR inside a laptop

Post by sinnet » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:37 pm

Hello, as for an SDR. I remember the Sidekiq: https://epiqsolutions.com/sidekiq

The SDR uses the same Analog Devices IC which is used in the Ettus B200. I don't know about software support, I would expect to pay a real premium for it, something around the thousands probably.

The Novena laptop open source design maybe could be interesting, but it's a little beefy being an ARM based laptop, I found this article mentioning MyriadRF made an SDR that could be integrated with it.

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/lap ... ined-radio

Hope it helps.
Last edited by sinnet on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason