TS590s SDR Play Combo

General discussions
aj2i

TS590s SDR Play Combo

Post by aj2i » Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 pm

I have read this post

http://arcticpeak.blogspot.no/2015/10/h ... -with.html

I purchased the SDR play, the Elad switcher, and the minicircuits splitter

How do I setup the PTT function on the 590s? Which cabling do I need?

Also, how do I add an AL80b amplifier into the mix?

If someone could help me with the cabling/connections to make this all work I would greatly appreciate it!
Last edited by aj2i on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Harry

Re: TS590s SDR Play Combo

Post by Harry » Thu May 05, 2016 9:32 pm

There is a much easier and less clutter way of doing this without the need for the Elad switch box and the MiniCircuits splitter. The method you're planning to use does work, but involves considerable cabling, clutter and expense. There is a much simpler solution per the link below:

http://crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-rx-mod.htm

This involves making a simple cable and installing it on jumper pins CN101. This mod requires no surgery to the rig and is completely reversible. I've done this mod with my SDRplay and TS-590S and it works quite well.

The addresses the hardware side. You will need software to process signals and provide full synchronization between the rig and the SDR as well as point-and-click tuning. The two programs I use are HDSDR and SDR-Radio Console together with a utility called OmniRig.

Finally, the TS-590S and software need to communicate. The USB connection from rig to computer is fine.

More details on how to do this can be found on this site, the TS-590S Yahoo Group and in the eHAM forums.

Harry WE1X
Last edited by Harry on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

aj2i

Post by aj2i » Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks Harry

I did see this, however I Don't want do any surgery to the radio. Hence why I bought all the external stuff, now I just need the hookup confirmed...

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Fri May 06, 2016 6:39 am

If I understand it correctly, the switch box is more or less a relay box that switches the antenna between the transceiver and an external receiver. I have a similar setup to connect my old R4C RX to my FT250 TRX.

So if you want to be able to receive with the TS590S and the SDRPlay at the same time, you have to connect the RX output of the switch box to the TS590 RX antenna input and the SDRPlay using the splitter.

Main disadvantage is that you probably lose the CW QSK feature of the TS590S. So this solution would not be for me ;)
I think the other solution with the RX out cable is the better one - easy, no external circuitry and no loss of QSK feature.

I got the TS590SG, and one of the new features is that the DRV output can be configured as an RX antenna output, exactly what you want.

Regarding the software side: Harry's proposal is the way to go for Windows people. Unfortunately I have only Linux machines, and there you have the software parts for the SDRplay (I use gqrx), and for the TS590SG (I use hamlib and cqrlog, fldigi, wsjtx), but the "glue logic" is missing and I have to write it myself.

But one part of amateur radio is experimenting and home brewing. And so I consider this a home brew project without soldering iron :D

Wolf, DK7OB
Last edited by DK7OB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Harry

Post by Harry » Fri May 06, 2016 3:02 pm

aj2i wrote:Thanks Harry

I did see this, however I Don't want do any surgery to the radio. Hence why I bought all the external stuff, now I just need the hookup confirmed...
Okay. Try the link below from the TS-590 Family Resources site. The link explains how to do this with an SDR-IQ, but there is enough info to get you well on your way.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/378 ... SDR_IQ.pdf

Harry WE1X

aj2i

Post by aj2i » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks Harry!

I will digest this document

This is talking about using a PTT line for keying with the switcher, but I according to the document the switching uses RF sensing...(I've already tied up my Acc2 port for keying my amplifier....

Is it possible to use this setup and have an amplifier inline?

I would imagine all I would need to do is make sure the Ant out goes from Switcher to amp in...and finally Ant out on amp..?

Harry

Post by Harry » Fri May 06, 2016 7:54 pm

aj2i wrote:Thanks Harry!

I will digest this document

This is talking about using a PTT line for keying with the switcher, but I according to the document the switching uses RF sensing...(I've already tied up my Acc2 port for keying my amplifier....

Is it possible to use this setup and have an amplifier inline?

I would imagine all I would need to do is make sure the Ant out goes from Switcher to amp in...and finally Ant out on amp..?

Don't know as again I took a simpler method. However, I have to believe others have taken the switchbox approach and were able to key their amps.

If you have not done so, join the TS-590S Yahoo Group. I'm sure you can get some guidance there.

Denny

Post by Denny » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 pm

I have just ordered my SDRPlay and will receive it Tuesday. I just did the mod inside my TS-590S by tapping the CN101. Just curious if I need to set anything inside my rig for any further attenuation? My understanding that I only need two cables for this to work. The cable that I now have out of the back of my rig plugs into the SDRPlay and a USB printer type cable that plugs into my computer and the SDRPlay. Can anyone tell me am I going in the right direction? Thanks for your feedback, Denny WB9MSM
Last edited by Denny on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

on6py

Post by on6py » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:59 pm

It should work perfectly! I did the same modification and you don't need to do any attenuation.
I didn't use any system for the antenna switching and transmit and full power. The SDRplay does some kind of muting during transmission.
Install Omnirig and configure Rig1 for TS590, choose the right Port and Baud rate.

Success!

Last edited by on6py on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Martymo

Post by Martymo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm

I performed the CN-101 installation described on the Crystal Radio site and it works perfectly! The only downside is that I forgot to pass the RG-316 cable through the little corner hole on the bottom cover of the TS-590S, but was able to route the cable just under the lip of the bottom cover; it's a tight squeeze, but appears to be OK. I might redo the installation if it gives me any trouble, but it's currently working fine. Other would-be installers should note that, if they plan to go through the corner hole, they should use at least a 12-inch-long cable. Mine was a 6-inch cable, which would have made it awkward to do the installation with the cover on such a short leash. Maybe that's why I "forgot" to route it through the corner hole? :)
Last edited by Martymo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.