Digital mode software

General discussions
Ai8o

Digital mode software

Post by Ai8o » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:07 pm

I am currently using HDSDR.
I am looking for software that will decode various HF digital modes.

I am interested in HF Rtty, Sel Call, bpsk31, Sitor, at this time.

Any pointers on which software, sources, installation, :?: configuration would be appreciated.

Dan
AI8O
Last edited by Ai8o on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Misterj

Re: Digital mode software

Post by Misterj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Ai8o, hope others have more ideas but the only one that comes to mind is GNU Radio. I have used it (under W7) just to play some time ago and have no idea how to connect it to SW for SDR.
Enjoy, John.
Last edited by Misterj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jon

Post by jon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 am

Ai8o wrote:I am currently using HDSDR.
I am looking for software that will decode various HF digital modes.

I am interested in HF Rtty, Sel Call, bpsk31, Sitor, at this time.

Any pointers on which software, sources, installation, :?: configuration would be appreciated.

Dan
AI8O

Andrew O'Brien has created this helpful 'getting started' guide for digital modes...

Quote from the Facebook group ....

Easy Way To Do Digital Modes with an SDRplay.
Digital modes are EASY to decode with an SDRplay RSP. Assuming you have an SDRplay with drivers installed , and it is receiving signals, here are the other steps you should take.
1. Download Virtual Audio Cable (trial version has an annoying lady yelling "TRIAL" every few seconds but paid version is very good), OR download VB-Audio which is free.
2. Download Fldigi , Multipsk, DM780, Digipan, Winwarbler or MixW . Fldigi works on Linux or Windows the rest of the aforementioned are Windows. I can't help with Apple iOS. Most folks here use Fldigi or Multipsk.
3. Install VAC or VB-AUDIO. The default install is usually set to install two virtual audio cables. You should view these as virtual version of old fashioned patch cords that you likely used with an audio cable on a sound system. A "cable" audio IN and another one carrying audio OUT. After you have done this, you can almost ignore these programs since they work mostly in the background and rarely need changing beyond the default settings.
4. Install your digital mode software . In each of these applications is a set-up or configuration area . To receive and decode digital modes you only need to be concerned with receiving signals and thus can ignore the more complicated transmit settings. In the set-up/configuration area , look for the sound card options. They are usually labelled INPUT and OUTPUT. Some label it Receive and Transmit.
5. Select the INPUT/Receive option and a drop-down list of all your sound devices is usually listed. Instead of the default soundcard in your PC or laptop, look for one called VAC or Virtual Audio Cable or VB-Audio (depending on what you installed). Usually things will work if you select VAC Input or VB-Input. Some list it as Line 1 or Line 2.
6. Now boot up your preferred software used to run the SDRplay RSP. You will need to change the audio path in this software. For example in SDR-Radio Console V2, within a VFO you click on AUDIO then PLAYBACK DEVICE. In HDSDR, click on SOUNDCARD and then RX INPUT FROM RADIO. Change this to match the setting you selected in your digital mode software.
7. You should now see the received radio signals appearing in the waterfall of the digital mode software. If they don't, trying flipping Line ONE to Line 2 in the digital mode software , it can only be one or the other. You may now be able to SEE signals but may also have lost the ability to actually hear the audio signals through your computer speakers. If that is the case, let us know here. There is an easy solution to this.
8. Now, move your SDRplay to 14070 USB or 7070 USB (USA) . In your digital mode software find the mode selector and select PSK31 , sometimes called BPSK31. Most times of the day on either 20M or 40M you will hear PSK31. Move the cursor on to the waterfall and click right on the vertical line about 31 hz wide that is slowly moving down your waterfall. You should be easily be able to decode a signal above an S1.
9. If you get this far, check back here and we will move on to further questions including decoding other modes. If you got this far and it works, the 80% of the other modes are just as easy. Then next steps are some of the nifty extra things your digital mode software can do. After ensuring you are receiving OK, we can move on to fancy tricks like automatically determining what mode your are seeing, or having the software sound an alarm upon receipt of certain key words, or automatically receiving bulletins and importing in to your web browser.

End of quote...

The above was reproduced from a posting in the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdrplay/ which is a great place to ask detailed questions of other users doing what you are trying to do. (plus you don't have to wait for a moderator to approve your post once you become accepted as a friend in the closed and very friendly group.
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Ai8o

Post by Ai8o » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:20 am

Digital modes are EASY to decode with an SDRplay RSP.
<<<<<This is not true.>>>>>>>>

Getting SDRPLAY to decode digital modes is NOT easy!

I am trying to follow the Andrew Obrien starter guide.
The guide is not user friendly and assumes that a user has a high level of computer expertise.

SDRPlay has major problems, not in the SDRPlay unit itself, but in the LACK of clear instructions on how to install software.

The LACK of clear instructions is making this a very frustrating job.

I am flopping around going "HUH?"
because of the lack of clear, concise instructions.

I need a checklist!
Who? what? where? when? how? pointers are needed.

Attempting to execute the first step of the Andrew O'brien starter guide, I ran into problems.

The starter guide says to download VB-Audio.
There are many versions of VB-Audio on the VB-Audio website.
Some of the downloads require other programs to be downloaded and installed before VB-Audio can be downloaded and installed
To install VB-AUDIO Software, you need first to install Hardlock drivers

I

Andrew O'Brien has created this helpful 'getting started' guide for digital modes...

Quote from the Facebook group ....

Easy Way To Do Digital Modes with an SDRplay.
Digital modes are EASY to decode with an SDRplay RSP. Assuming you have an SDRplay with drivers installed , and it is receiving signals, here are the other steps you should take.

1. Download Virtual Audio Cable (trial version has an annoying lady yelling "TRIAL" every few seconds but paid version is very good), OR download VB-Audio which is free.
:(
Last edited by Ai8o on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jherbert

Post by jherbert » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Ai8o wrote:SDRPlay has major problems, not in the SDRPlay unit itself, but in the LACK of clear instructions on how to install software.
SDRPlay is a Software Defined Radio by definition. There are various packages that can be used, and the level of expertise needed to use these varies widely. I agree that decoding digimodes is far from easy, but this has not got anything to do with SDRPlay - it is up to the creators of these programs to streamline the installation process.

I had problems using VB-Audio, so I bought Virtual Audio Cable. Works like a charm. There is no plug-andplay-solution for Digimodes, however, so you need to invest some time to get it up and running. Do not expect this to work all by itself, it never will. Also, please keep in mind that the essential part of SDR, the software is free of charge and developed by enthusiasts. You might consider to adjust you expectations.
Last edited by jherbert on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

NS3L

Post by NS3L » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello all..

New user.. I've got my sdr-play running and have vb-cable set up.. Wanting to run MMSSTV and can see the incoming audio, but I've "lost the ability to actually hear the audio signals through your computer speakers." per the above post..

How do I fix this..??

What is the work around?

Steve Nordahl, NS3L
Last edited by NS3L on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Steve,

Click on audio properties for the virtual cable and on the listen tab, check the listen to this device and you will hear what the VC hears

Paul - NN4F
Attachments
audio1.JPG
audio1.JPG (57.53 KiB) Viewed 23169 times
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Ai8o, digital is very easy with the SDRPlay, it is true, if you have a virtual cable installed, or if you sound card supports it use Stereo Mix
you are a licensed extra, you should know what software is available, such as MultiPSK, MMTTY, SeaTTY, MixW, FLDigi, just to name a few, all these work and decode the signals you want, you just have to select the right audio input and output from the sdrplay....

Paul - NN4F
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay