stuttering audio

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
g4snu

stuttering audio

Post by g4snu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:41 pm

I have what may appear to a stupid issue to sdr experts however as a newbie to this type of receiver and computing in general I am at a bit of a loss ,the audio received in SDR console and also HDSDR stutters and drops out ,the SDR Play is connected to my HF antenna which is a cobweb mounted high above my roof line ,it appears to be some sort of overload and the use of the processor goes to 100% ,there are no other programmes running ( Firefox etc turned off) and I have also turned off the windows defender ,the laptop I am using is an HP Pavillion running windows 10 pro suggestions are welcome !!
Ron G4SNU
Last edited by g4snu on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Misterj

Re: stuttering audio

Post by Misterj » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:45 pm

g4snu, please tell us more about your computer - architecture (32/64 bit) number of cores, clock, memory size. I recommend that you reduce the sampling rate (SR)/Bandwidth (BW) to the minimum needed to get your signal. If you will double click on the BW default value (2 MHz) on the main window enter your value and hit enter. Closing all windows not needed (RX, SP1, SP2) will help and run only one receiver. Let us know if this helps. Enjoy, John.

g4snu

Post by g4snu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi John ,thanks for the advice ,the Machine is: HP Pavillion laptop,running windows 10, pro,AMD Athlon NEO x2,Dual core L335 I.66GHz procesr ,4 GB memory(RAM) ,it's a 64 bit operating system with x64 based processor
does this help ? is it OK for the SDR play ?
Ron

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks, Ron, that does help. I hate to denigrate your system, but it seems minimal at best. Did you try lowering your SR/BW? If so, did it get your CPU below 100% and stop the stuttering? From other posts here, it appears that HDSDR is easier on the CPU. Please try it again and reduce the SR/BW to the very minimum you need for what you are doing. You might also try SDR-Radio. Your system may serve if you can stick to smaller SR/BW and only one receiver/VFO. Turn off any windows (RX, SP1, SP2) not being used at the time. Please open Task Manager and sort by CPU usage so the highest is at the top and see what else is taking cycles. Stop what you can do without. You are not the only one here with these problems. Good luck and enjoy, John.

g4snu

Post by g4snu » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:43 am

thanks John, looks like I may need to invest in something else !,I thought the laptop was a bit light on resource ,it's about seven years old now so getting on a bit ,my mac book air runs it ok so my suspicions have been just been confirmed !,I will maybe see whats about on the market to replace this one but in the meantime I can use the mac ,thanks for your help
Ron