Differences between RSP2 and RSP2pro

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
n2msqrp

Differences between RSP2 and RSP2pro

Post by n2msqrp » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:26 pm

I want to upgrade to the RPS2. They have the Pro model in the metal case.

Is there any difference in the operation, shielding or filtering of the Pro over the RPS2? There is RF shielding in the plastic version RPS2. Is this shielding bonded to the metal enclosure of the Pro version?

Thanks,

Mike N2MS
Last edited by n2msqrp on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: Differences between RSP2 and RSP2pro

Post by g1hbe » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:02 am

I think the metal casing of the Pro IS the shielding in that version. It will be bonded to the internal earthing of the PCB. I avoided waiting for the pro version as I wasn't convinced it provided any better physical protection than the plastic one. If the plastic one hits a hard floor, the plastic case will absorb some of the impact, whereas the metal one will go with a right crack and pass the shock to the PCB.
There is no other difference, it's exactly the same receiver.
I'm probably over-thinking this, but being an engineer these things keep me awake at night.....

Andy

n2msqrp

Post by n2msqrp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for he reply. I intend to travel with the RSP2 and prefer the plastic version but I would like to verif y these isn't any difference in shielding before committing. Is the shielding on the plastic version on the PC board?

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 pm

The shielding is a metallic coating on the inside of the plastic case. It is connected to the PCB earth, so it should be just as good as the metal cased one.

Andy